Wont start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Fred

Smile Wont start

2002 camero. At first the car would start then as the day warmed up it would not start; once the day cooled off it would start again.

I replaced the ECM, 3 coils, ignition relay and still have the problem.

Now the car wont start at all, I bypassed the VAT system and still does not start. I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail but I have no spark.

I put the VAT system back to origional and still will not start? Can someone help me please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: Wont start

I would get a can of quick start fluid (ether), crank the car and shoot the ether into the intake. If the car coughs and tries to start at least you know you are getting spark. Now on to the fuel system. Are you positive the fuel pump is running and maintaining pressure to the rail? Connectors to the injectors on tight? Injectors clicking?

alan
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Fred

the fuel pump is purring and pumping fuel to the rail, first time the key is turned on 40 psi and every time you turn off and on the key it pumps higher, up to 70psi. I put a spark tester on the plug wires and there is no spark, every once in a while a real faint spark, but very faint. I sprayed starting fluid in and nothing happens, just turns over. If you keep trying to start it you can smell the fuel. I have not checked the injectors, my lights are not available right now.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Fred

Wow who would guess! Its now 930pm and cooling off, the car starts beautifully after not starting all day! This car is possessed, can anyone help? or do I just sell it early in the morining or late at night or a cold snowy day like when I bought it.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Fred

does anyone know if there is anything that just controls the spark besides the ESC and the coils? Does anyone think that the computer could cause this? If I get a new computer and have it flashed without the security features, think it might work? any gusses welcome also.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Well, gotta be electrical for sure. If you say the car is possesed, I would still take Everett over a priest, that guy is an electrical guru!!! Let's see if he weighs in here. Meantime, do a search "no start electrical". I bet it is a loose ground somewhere or weak relay?

alan
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If the engine is cranking, then VATS is not preventing it from starting.
No spark when operating temp, usually means the ignition module is taking a vacation, the tray the coils sit in, or a corroded terminal.

Ign system requires high current, typ 5-9 amps. As a wire connection gets used, the high resistance heats up and transfers current as heat for the circuit being served.

A good troubleshooting idea for the ign module/tray, when its hot and does not start, blow shop air onto it to cool it, then try to start.

Thanks Alan for the support.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Fred

That was my first guess so it was the first thing I purchased for the car. The actual engine is not warm cause the car has been setting for hours. It seems to be effected when the daytime temp rises I know that sounds stupid. As long as it stays under 70 degrees all day we have no problem. It might not start at first try but let it set for 15-20 mins and it will.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

There are no stupid symptoms, but, the ones not mentioned don't help..So, ambient temperature affects starting.

When below 70, car works well, like it should?
When above 70, car won't start on first attempt, but return 20 minutes later, and it does start?

You mentioned spark was weak - when ambient temp is hot? When ambient temp is lower, spark is good?

You said you bypassed VATS, how?
Did you install a resistor across the two white wires of the same resistive value of the key?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Fred

When ambient temp is below 70 deg the car starts and runs well
when ambient temp is above 80 the car will not start
I purchase a vat bypass module which I plugged into the system between the reader and the module with the same code as the key.

iI Believe when the car does not start it is because of the lack of spark. Plus as long as you do not turn off the car after you start it, it runs fine no matter the temp for as long as you drive it.

Last edited by fandftire; Apr 4th, 10 at 07:26 PM. Reason: forgot a word or two
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Hmmm, would that imply a possible problem with the ignition switch in the start position? The prime symptom is no spark at crank but when running, everything is fine.

alan
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Battery is how old?
If you turn on headlights, then crank the engine, the lights dim or go out?
If you place a voltmeter across battery posts, no lights on, crank the engine, does voltage go below 9.5 volts? - if it does, weak battery or not enough charge, corroded connections either from alt to battery, or too small battery cables.

Once engine starts, battery post voltage is ? Fourteen volts and higher is good. If reading is lower and the voltage recovers after a minute, good system.

The reason I suggest the above is to eliminate the cranking circuit and the effect of low current available for other circuits at the same time. If a starter is drawing more current than usual due to supply being low, weak battery can't produce enough current, then other circuits are going to feel the same potential and not function as designed, hence, if starter is taking most of the energy due to low cranking voltage, ignition system isn't going to have enough current to make a decent spark.

Another trick, ambient temp above 80, no engine start attempt for the day, remove the MAF sensor and place it in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. Then reinstall MAF sensor. Does it start?

'
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Fred

I will sure try this. It's been cloudy and cool so far. So I have had no sos calls to come get her, the car has been starting fine. The sun is fixin to come out, so I will see this afternoon if it won't start and let you know. Is there anyway to test the igintion switch to find out if it is the problem or is it a replace it and find out? Thanks
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Will be good to know. When it gets hot, are the windows rolled up and interior is hot?
Usually, interior temps, depending upon exterior color, can reach 120-140F, and igniton switch may be just out of alignment with this heat.

A light bulb set up to monitor the voltage your looking for is a good test, such as ign voltage at start.

'
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Fred

Can you tell me where do I check the ignition voltage and what should it be? Should I just use a test light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
no spark, troubleshoot, wont start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode