Won't start when hot - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Won't start when hot

Hi, I have a 69 BB and on a hot day when the car gets hot and I shut it off, when I go to start it right away it won't start. Turn the key and nothing. lights work, horn, radio works. When the car cools down about 30 minutes or so it will start with no problem. Starter problem? Could it be over heating?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: won't start when hot

This is because of dry solder joints in the armiture, caused over time due to heavy loads on the starter motor because of over advanced intial cent timing.
When the starter motor internals are cold the dry joints close up, when hot they open up causing electrical resistance inside

put the armiture up on a growler (not many auto sparkies have these anymore to test)
you can do it your self by warming up the armiture in an oven evenly then use an ohm meter on each of the joints while still hot...all it needs in 1 joint faulty.

Also I do not believe most starter motor rebuilders actually check armitures for dry joints or resolder ..have seen this issue many times over many yrs

There is another issue that can cause this...the soleniod copper contact is worn...this can be taken out and turned over or bad wire contacts on the terminals of the starter or battery.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 05:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

If your engine turns over slow and then seems to freeze, it is most likely too much initial advance in the timing. If the starter never engages and the electrical system is in good shape it may be a heat sink issue. I have used brand new factory starters and had issues like yours. The soleniod is just not efficient if it gets hot. If the starter checks out per Steptoe's suggestions, you might try a heat sheild or a remote soleniod.

68 convertible

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am going to be pulling the starter out in the next week. I need to see a close up of the wiring to see what kind of conduction it's in. Then I'll give the starter a good look over
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Im not suggesting ....
in the last 30m odd yrs I have seen this issue personally on my chevs and manyothers, including holdens and pontiacs, and a few old english cars
To far advanced cause someone has been stupid enough to 'tune by ear'

This not only effects the armiture but burnibg .wear on the soleniod...

Heat sink issue...after running , stop park, then feel the solenoid and startewr motor, they can get warm but not bloody hot enough....unless you sit there idling for 10 mins
The air gap between the headers and starter /solenoid to too greatn then by the time that heat is transfered into the stater/solenoid components enough to effect or over heat a system in good condition....
Been there done that.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech
John Doe

i thought i was getting heat sink. tried a few starters. it turns out the 40 year old wires were bad to the starter. i replaced them and have not had a problem since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode