67 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
aaron

67 Camaro

on my dash under my fuel gauge when i put my headlights on this light turns on my dash under my fuel gauge red it says gen what does that mean thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 67 camaro

The GEN is indicating there is not enough current from the alternator for the demand requested and the battery is supplying the current. Happens at idle speed most often; speed engine up, light goes out, hopefully - more current generated.

Problem is either from:
1. Loose alternator belt - loosen alternator and tighten belt.
2. Low output from alternator due to a bad diode within the alternator or a maladjusted voltage regulator - replace mechanical VR with an electronic unit , Wells P/N VR715
3. Poor connections from alternator BAT post/stud to the rest of the electrical system - disconnect ground cable from battery, then disconnect all visual connections you see and wire brush all mating parts, reassemble, and watch the results. The terminals having broken strands should be snipped and replaced.
4. Too low of engine idle RPM - crank it up alittle.
5. Too much current demand from accessories - present design did not include heavy duty stereo amps, electric cooling fans, and other electrical accessories more common today.

Measure charge voltage at battery posts with engine running only, no accessories on, s/b min 13.6 volts after driven on the street for 15-20 minutes. Rev up engine, voltage should go up, max volts s/b 14.5 volts.

With a 37 amp alternator, you were lucky to have headlights at night with wpers on, and defrost on......you carried your nine volt flashlight out the window for additional light.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 03:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

big E.. who carries wells?? i need one for this 67 im working on?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
aaron

well i know i have a problem electrically because when i turn my headlights on , my ac works my tachometer works my battery gauge works oil pressure gauge works and that gen light turns on but when i turn off my headlights none of these work and that gen light turns off so you think my best bet is to take it to a shop or is it something i can fix on my own. also i have a internal volt regulator, i replaced the alternator from autozone a few months back its new for the most part.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Wells VR can be bought at most any Advantage Auto, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, or NAPA store.

Anything done to the car before this problem arose? Change harness or occur overnight?
If this car is a 1st Gen, was the harness changed?
Was the ext regulator connector jumpered to work with an internal reg alternator? Jumper the two outside wires of the ext VR plug.

If this car is a 3rd Gen or later, same question, what was done to the car before this experience? Retrace the steps on electrical hook-up.

Either Gen of car, no way should the headlamp switch be the source of power for the rest of the accessories. Something is amiss, of course.

As for troubleshooting and repair, its up to you whether you want to tackle the job or not. First, get a Haynes manual for the car. It has an electrical schematic of the car and is better than a blank sheet of paper.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
aaron

Re: 67 Camaro

well i fixed my problems apparently my gauges and tach and ac were wired to the headlight switch instead of the igntion and i had a wire bad on the alternator which in turn wasnt charging battery i took it to a shop and they fixed those problems but i noticed that on my dash the gen llight is still on only when i turn the headlights on. any solutions.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 67 Camaro

The wire coming back to the GEN light from the voltage regulator is wired through the h/lamp switch, maybe. Kindda hard to troubleshoot over the wire.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode