Engine "knock" or "ping"??? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Joe

Engine "knock" or "ping"???

My 67 seems to be performing just fine, but I can hear a slight "knock", "click" or "ping" coming from the motor. I have owned this vehicle for 6 months and it's my first classic car. I am not a mechanic at all. What should I do? Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 07:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: engine "knock" or "ping"???

When is it knocking (at start ups/all the time/at idle/or cruising) and what octane of gas are you using.... Could be bad gas or ignition.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 07:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Could be several things...exhaust leak, worn lifter, worn main/rod bearing or just pinging due to timing/gas, etc. Do you hear it at idle, acceleration, cruse...? Did it just start? What motor and how many miles on it? Do you know what your initial and full advance timing is set at?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Joe

Thank you for replying. I can hear it at idle and during acceleration. The engine sounds great to me otherwise, but I can just hear the faint "ping" sound. Probably couldn't hear it if you wasn't trying. I have been using the lowest octane or cheapest gas, but I have been driving it 2 or 3 times a week since the weather has warmed up. The oil pressure gauge is within normal ranges. I don't recall hearing the sound during ignition.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 07:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

BTW, just noticed "Branson, MO" my old stompin grounds, I grew up in Springfield and ski TableRock every year. Welcome to Team Camaro.

Matt

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Start with some higher octane gas. Also check to see if your vacuum advance is working correctly.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Sounds like it could be octane/timing issue if you're hearing it during acceleration only. Do know your timing settings?

Matt

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Joe

You'll have to forgive me, but you're talking over my head already I have no idea what the timing is set at and wouldn't even know how to check. I love this car and want to learn more, but I'm at ground zero now with my knowledge. I will try a higher octane gas (I know how to find the gas tank). Also, my fiance's dad has a garage and is pretty sharp with this stuff so I can take any suggestions to him and I know he will help.

Matt:

I have been hear my whole life and have enjoyed the lakes too. Originally, I'm from Mansfield, but went to C of O and then law school and came back to the Ozarks. My fiance' is from Denver and we go there for snowboarding every winter.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Joe

I just added some pictures of the my 67
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Lex

When i first purchased my 68 Camaro it also had a knocking and when i put a new demon carb on it and ran it over 100 miles per hour the engine blew out. Just saying you might not want to run it hard if it's knocking, get it checked first or else you'll have to buy a new engine like me. Lesson learned, i know it's hard to take it easy on a Camaro.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Yes, try higher octane gas and see if that resolves the issue. If not, I would check the timing next.
I went to Parkview, SMSU (MSU now) moved to KC for 5 years and been in Denver the last decade. Small world...

Matt

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
but I can hear a slight "knock", "click" or "ping" coming from the motor.
Quote:
I am not a mechanic at all.
Quote:
You'll have to forgive me, but you're talking over my head already I have no idea what the timing is set at and wouldn't even know how to check.
Which tells me that you would not be familar with what a detonation sounds like

Check for any leaks around the exhaust manifilds, in particular the rear ports..check the bolts are tight
Check at night if there are any HT leads jumping/leaking spark
Using a long screwdriver with a solid handle (not rubber) one end on the engine the other to your ear to locate the sound...this will locate stuff like
Check lifters adjusted correctly
A lifter touching the tappet cover (thicker cork gasket fixes)
Alternater, pullys, bellhousing, cracked or collasped piston.
And also put the engine up on a hoist and check the unnder parts of the engine.

Thry the higher octane and also dropping the timing back aboutr 3 degs
Also try disconnecting the VA and block the hose.

Plan of attack:
Quote:
I have owned this vehicle for 6 months and it's my first classic car.
The 1st think you should do is change the oil, flush radiator and grease
I assume that you are not familar with this
book the car into your local service station, ask that you be there when they do it
Copy this post out and give to them.
While they are doing the service you can watch and learn
They can drop the advance back, use a mechanics stethoscope (instead of the screwdriver) while up on the hoist. and check tappets.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Re: Engine "knock" or "ping"???

Not a mechanic at all? Not to be a jerk, but take it to someone who is. You may do far more harm than good if you start messing with it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Joe

Thank you so much for the list. I do have a cousin who has owned about a dozen or so first gen camaros and my father in law is a solid mechanic, so I believe either of them will help me and I will show them this list so they have an idea where to start. Thanks again!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Engine "knock" or "ping"???

Go with the 'out-law' a tradesaman mechanic with yrs of experiance and a bit older knowing his way around older technolgy....
There are way too many 'home mechanics' who still believe old wives tales passed down from the neighbours, cousons ex boy freinds big brother who has 'fixed' up lots of old cars

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode