Couple Issues - Electrical ?'s - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Couple Issues - Electrical ?'s

I just put in a efi 396 and got it running and all is well so far except I have to start with a remote starter buttom by jumping the purple wire solenoid spot and battery hot side. I can crank it from inside great but it wont fire unless I turn the key on and hit the remote start button ?? They both are doing the exact same thing to me but I must be missing something. This has a remote mounted soleniod going to a mini starter. The other ? s where do i tap into for a rpm signal for my tach ? I have a 6a box hooked into the efi system and mallory dist with msd coil. Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Couple Issues - Electrical ?'s

Without the key on, you have no power to your ignition.

Don't slap yourself in the forehead too hard......

For your tach, the 6A has a tach output on the side of the box. You can't use the negative terminal of the coil anymore because the MSD box throws multiple sparks at low RPM's.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Without the key on, you have no power to your ignition.

Don't slap yourself in the forehead too hard......

For your tach, the 6A has a tach output on the side of the box. You can't use the negative terminal of the coil anymore because the MSD box throws multiple sparks at low RPM's.
yeah figured out the tach problem and not sure what you mean on the first line ? of course key off no power but if I crank the engine it cranks fine but wont start, however if I put a remote starter on it it fires right up.
I installed a new remote starter solenoid and ther is an empty small terminal on the one side opposite were I have my purle starter wire but tried a jumper to a few places and nothing worked ? I could install a push button starter but it started with the key with the previous small block ??

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Oh, I get you now. I thought you were trying to start it with the remote starter with the key off.

What kind of EFI system do you have and how is your 12V supply wired to it and the MSD box? Both should be on the IGN circuit from the fuse block. Not the battery supply, but the "on" supply which would be the small red wire on the MSD box. If not on the IGN circuit, it is turning off when you turn the key to START but is on with the key in the ON position.

Both the MSD box and EFI (depending on type) should have a heavier gauge 12V line and a lighter gauge 12V line. The heavy one goes straight to the battery and is the main supply. The lighter one will be the "on" signal.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Eledobrock pro flo efi and everything is hooked up just like they have it laid out on the diagram. My old hot wire to my hei on my sbc is now hooked to the small red on msd the msd does run through a ign. amplifier per the efi kit. It just seems strande that I can hook up as remote starter from the purple wire on the solenoid to the battery side and it fires but will only crank by the key so something isnt getting power when key is in crank position obviously but why is what i can figure ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Is the IGN wire the cloth covered one coming from the bulkhead connector or did you put in a new IGN wire straight from the IGN spade on the fuse block?

If it's the original wire, it'll run an HEI but with the MSD box and FI both needing a good 12V it may be dropping voltage enough with the starter kicking in that they're not turning on. With the resistor wire, you already have some voltage drop happening. It's odd though that it'll fire up with you using the remote and key on.

If you don't already have one in, you can try running a wire straight from the IGN spade inside the car to your MSD and FI for full 12 volts. Or before you do that you can disconnect the battery lead from the starter (leave the solenoid connected), put your meter on your MSD and EFI 12V "on" feed and see what you get when you turn the key to start. Doing it with the main starter post connected will skew your reading since the power demand will pull your voltage down to around 9V or so.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Well I spent a few hours of wasted time chasing this and it came down to something simple that Steiner said I just hadnt thought of. My efi feed wire was hooked to key on power not ignition source and that fixed it. Thanks for the help and some time the simple ones just seem so hard !! Thanks again !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode