Reverse on 4spd not wanting to go in - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Reverse on 4spd not wanting to go in

Just swapped in a big block and one of my last gremlins is the shifter after reinstalled doesnt want to pull far enough to the left to smoothly go to reverse, instead it stays around 1-2 and will partially ingage 1st and reverse causing things to bind up. I have looked all over it and dont see any other adjustment than just the roll back and forth 2 bolts and that doesnt help my problem. Never messed with one of these shifters so all help mis much appreciatted so I can get this car out of the garage.

Strange thing is I thought I put it all back same as it was with the small block ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Reverse on 4spd not wanting to go in

If this is a hurst shifter, I ran into the same kind of issue. There is a large pin in the shifter (1/2" or so) that runs perpindicular to the tranny and as you move the shifter to the left to find reverse, this pin is pushed to the right, towards the tranny. I had a bolt that was securing the shifter bracket to the tranny tail piece and the bolt head was not letting the pin go all the way to the right, which was keeping me from finding reverse. I had to remove the shifter and grind down the head of the bolt to allow the pin full range of motion. This fixed it for me.

67 Convertible, LS1, T56
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

I got it working better after some adjustments. Not perfect but it works for now. I beleive its something in the shifter as I pulled it off again and lubed and cleaned it and still catching internally some but it much more workable now.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

It's very easy to adjust a Hurst shifter if that is what you have. Put the shifter in neutral, then get under the car and look up at the shift levers. They should all be in a perfect line pointing straight down at you. If not, loosen the linkages on the levers, take a 1/4" drill bit, and slide the bit all the way through the shifter body and shift levers which will align them. You will have to wiggle the levers a little if the bit hits them instead of going through the hole. Then adjust your linkages so the levers are all perfectly lined up, pull the bit out, and run through your gears.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Its not the linkage as that was all previously hooked up and worked fine. I assume something in the shifter its self was binding up and it seems to have loosened up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 11:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

1. Is it a Hurst?

2. If it is a Hurst it doesn't matter if it worked right or not before. Mine used to go out of adjustment once a week until I put some washers on it to lock the linkage pins in place better at the shift levers. I've gotten caught in a parking lot for ten minutes trying to get it out of reverse when it has happened.

When I say levers, I am not talking about the linkage rods. In neutral, if you cannot slide a 1/4" drill bit clean through the hole on the side of the shifter body, through the shift lever arms on the shifter body itself, and out the other side of the shifter body then it is out of adjustment. The only way to get them back in is to adjust the pins on the linkage rods where they connect to the shifter levers as this will move the shifter lever into line where it needs to be. This aligns the shifter itself and lets the shifter travel freely side to side into the reverse gate, 1/2 gate, and 3/4 gate. With absolutely no linkage attached at all if the levers are not lined up correctly it will not move between the gates.

By the way, if the two bolts you referenced in your first post are on the front and back of the shifter body (towards first gear and towards second gear), those are the stop bolts to prevent overshifting. To adjust those, you first have to get the alignment finished. Then back both bolts out until they are just holding in the holes by a couple of threads. Push the shifter into third gear and hold it there. Turn the upper bolt in until it touches the shift lever, then back it out one turn and tighten the jam nut to hold it in place. For the other one, do the same except shift it into fourth and repeat the procedure.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; May 7th, 10 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode