Car Bucks, Fuel Problem? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 10, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Logan

Car Bucks, Fuel Problem?

Hello, I have a 72 Camaro SS with a 350 and a Rochester quad carb. New HEI distributor on it too. Here is my problem that i cannot figure out...

When i am driving my car on the highway is runs fine going about 75 MPH for about 60 miles from when i start. after about 60 miles (sometimes 90 miles sometimes only 15 miles) when i am going up a little hill the car starts bucking and when i try to give it more gas it bucks harder. It acts like it is getting no fuel but i know the tank is full or at least has gas. I thought maybe it was bad gas, even though i have been using the same gas stations for 2 years, so i tried dry gas, no help.

Here are this weird things. The bucking only starts going up hill but once it starts it will do it whether on flat ground or going down hill. i pull over to a rest area or something and decided to change the fuel filter, not the one inside the carb. i clean it all out, there is nothing in it, and put it back together. Magic, the car works, until anywheres from 15-90 miles later, then it all starts over again.

Here is what i think it may be, one of these: fuel filter, fuel pump, sediment in the gas tank(even though there is nothing in the filter but cleaning it tends to temporarly fix it), fuel lines(maybe air is getting in?), or something is messed up inside my carb.

Does anyone have any ideas!?!?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

94 Camaro Z28
89 Camaro Iroc
72 Camaro SS
67 Camaro Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 10, 11:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: Car Bucks, Fuel Problem?

Nice car. I would say a filter somewhere is the culprit unless something is closing off the exhaust when going uphill and the car is choking.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 10, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Logan

If that was the problem why would cleaning the one filter fix it temporarily? And if the problem was the exhaust closing off then why would it only do it after a bunch of miles.

Also, if i really hammer on it(really push it through all 4 gears), it chokes up at about 50 mph.

94 Camaro Z28
89 Camaro Iroc
72 Camaro SS
67 Camaro Convertible

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 10, 04:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

sounds to me like it might be more of a carb problem...sitting for a few minutes while cleaning out a filter that's not dirty gives it time to "normalize".

But I'm not a carb guy...so wait for one of them to chime in

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 10, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Logan

Yeah, i was starting to think it has to be the carb too because with all the clues put together nothing else made sense. I don't know too much about what the problem in the carb could be though...

Anyone out there know about carbs well enough to give me an idea of what to look for before i just go head first tearing things apart? haha

94 Camaro Z28
89 Camaro Iroc
72 Camaro SS
67 Camaro Convertible
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 10, 09:44 AM
Guess

I've heard mention that all this 'new' gas with ethanol in it can gum up a carb after a period of time.
I don't know how true that is, or whether hammering on the Go pedal helps clear this type of thing. Whens the last time the carb was gone thru?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 10, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Logan

The top end was done about a year ago, new float jet and gaskets. Its been a while for a total job.

Hammering the go pedal doesn't clear things up, when the car is in gear it makes it worse and when the clutch is in it usually is fine.

94 Camaro Z28
89 Camaro Iroc
72 Camaro SS
67 Camaro Convertible
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech

Most likely a dirty filter or you have a bunch of debri in the tank that getting sucked up onto the pickup sock. One other thought - if this is a breaker point ignition, a bad condnesor will cause it to buck and fart under load. Typically though condensor problems I've seen had an effect at say 20 to 40 MPH, though I suppose higher speed issues aren't out of the question. Capacitors (a.k.a. condensors) are also affected by heat, so I suppose it could be a problem that gets worse the longer you drive it. Points and condensors are pretty easy to change, so keep it in mind if the other things don't check out.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Logan

So i think the problem is fixed, i think there were 2 problems.

1. The fuel filter in the carb was pretty dirty
2. The float was set pretty low so it wasnt getting much gas before the jet was closed off

If the problem occours again ill be back
Thanks for all your help!!!

94 Camaro Z28
89 Camaro Iroc
72 Camaro SS
67 Camaro Convertible
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 10, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I run a heavily modified QJet and I set my float to 1/4"-5/16" and she never runs out of fuel. The factory setting is for a completely bone stock engine.

Also, it's best to totally eliminate the filter in the carb and get an inline filter. The filters in the carb are restrictive.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode