HELP Service Engine soon - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to golferking77
HELP Service Engine soon

My 1999 V-6 3.8 liter 5 speed manual Camaro is having an issue w/the service engine soon light. It was reading missfire on diagnostic that was cleared now it comes up w/sensor issue . anybody out there ever go through this? Car has lost no power if feels like it's riding better then ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 10, 03:11 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: HELP Service Engine soon

Welcome, Jim. You're going to have to provide alot more info for anyone to be able to help you. There are about 10000 things that can cause the Check Engine light to come on. What code is it setting for starters?

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 10, 03:45 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Unhook the battery for 10 minutes and hope for the best.

We all know it needs a complete diganostic however.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 10, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Autozone or Advance Auto can scan it for you for free, post up the code (s) and we'll see what we can come up with.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 10, 06:58 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan E. View Post
Autozone or Advance Auto can scan it for you for free, post up the code (s) and we'll see what we can come up with.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
X2. On OBD II (1996 and newer) vehicles disconnecting the battery does not clear the code. As mentioned above, without the code we can't help you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 10, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Thats the problem with computer controlled cars, espec when they get a few yrs on them and stuff starts going wrong/worn.
Non computorized a vac gauge timing light, ohm/volt meter all cheap is all thats needed
Computorized need a bloody diagonistic tool that cost just about as much as the car...not always practical for the home emthusist...and even if you have on its not always straight forward reading codes...need a lot of experiance behind that.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Jim

The code is P0300
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Jim

The Code is P0300
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 02:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

#300 is a miss fire code.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Jim

The code is P0300
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Jim

yes they said it was a miss fire . we changed the sensor's and cleaned the fuel lines all the plugs are fine. So we had the codes cleared and yesterday it passes inspection now today the engine light comes on. So I call the shop they say come over . They hook the gun up to my car I get the miss fire code. So I plan to bring it in monday on the way home ( I live 3 block from the shop) the engine light goes off. I'm like what the hell is going on. This all started 4 weeks ago when my alternator went. Prior to that I had a service engine light about 7 months ago we smoked the engine and found a leek in the intake valve gasket so we replaced that and the head gasket and all was fine until like I said the alternator went. Needless to say but this car is driving me nuts and the guys at the shop want to run when they see me coming.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech

p0300 is for a random misfire code. They need to look at misfire data to identify which specific cylinder is misfiring. They should have been able to do that the first time they had it hooked up.

NEVER argue with a stupid person. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 03:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: HELP Service Engine soon

What "sensors" did you/they change
The most common things I find that cause a 'missfire' code are;
* Bad or worn spark plugs - sometimes find the wrong type installed ...
* Bad or failing Coil(s) - or wires on earlier remote coil systems
* Vacuum leak(s) - after having intake/head work done this is often a cause.
* Bad or failing O2 sensor(s)
* Odd fuel pressure on the rail(s)
* Loose or dirty electrical connections at injectors and sensors
* higher than normal engine operating temps.
(and a few others I can't think of right now ... )
Hopefully others will chime in as you discribe the sensor involved and what 'bank' the issue is common on.

As far as ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Thats the problem with computer controlled cars, espec when they get a few yrs on them and stuff starts going wrong/worn.
Non computorized a vac gauge timing light, ohm/volt meter all cheap is all thats needed
Computorized need a bloody diagonistic tool that cost just about as much as the car...not always practical for the home emthusist...and even if you have on its not always straight forward reading codes...need a lot of experiance behind that.
'Steps' my boy - time to quit fighting it and step in the future
Or walk away from that other modern thingy you understand - the 'computor'

All the same systems exist on the engines of today that existed on the engines in our early Camaros - they are just controlled differently ...
I use the same tools to diagnose issues as I did in the 60's - primarily "vac gauge timing light, ohm/volt meter " along with a pressure gauge, just like I used on my first car, to check fuel delivery ...
Oh, and yes - I have a good 'scan-tool'
I bought a $200 "Auto-Xray" unit years ago and it's paid for itself many times over
I update the software every year as needed for free on their web-site.

I truely enjoy working on my modern fuel-injected-computer-controlled stuff - not as messy, easy to find the issue and they run like tops rest of the time
I've even transplanted a EFI-LT1 from a late 90's 'Vette into my early 90's ski-boat - sucker now starts right up every morning with no fuss and we're sking within minutes - a world of difference to the old Rochester carb'd 350 in it originally. Ski all day on less than a tank of fuel vs. two or more. This boat spends the majority of it's time operating at @7,000 feet above sea-level! Truely an enjoyable boat now.
I'm getting real close to transplanting a TPI-350 in the shop into my 1977 4X4 - getting tired of fiddling with a 35-year old carb and dist.

I scan them every few months even if they aren't throwing a code - I'm surprized by the amount of info they have stored telling me what's been going on in there.

But truthfully - I bet I could fix 90% of the problems without a scan tool, just by using good common mechanical skills to measure, read and test the primary systems for the fault.
I use an VOM every time I service any of my cars/boats/trucks/tractors/whatever to test wiring, connections, sensors and the other controls - same as I would any non-computer controlled engine.

If you're a good mechanic and you understand engine principle and theory - a simple control system won't stop you from finding the issue

Climbing carefully down from my soap-box now - I'm an old geezer you know

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Jim

When we first got the code the mechanic was confused because he got a sensor 03 something or other and he said I only have 2 sensor's , then another mechanic said sometimes that happens in gm cars it by passes the number 2 sensor making it think it's a third sensor. So to date we have changed the oxygen sensor, the coils, spark plugs are fine, we changed the gas cap, & flushed the fuel system. I have noticed that at times when the car gets to half a tank of gas this will trigger the service engine light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode