Flooding Holley 700 DP - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wesley

Flooding Holley 700 DP

So I have a Holley 700 DP on my 355 and have been having a problem with it dumping way too much fuel into it and loading up. We keep having to re-adjust the floats and the idle of it after every run. It will stay tuned for a little while and then start choking out and finally die. My question is does anybody know what may be causing this and how to fix it? My father is about ready to throw it away and stick on a Carter which I'm not too happy about. Any help would be very much appreciated.

1969 Camaro
Naturally aspirated 355: 455 hp and 444 lbs tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Re: Flooding Holley 700 DP

Where are the floats set at?Just a few things to check make sure the throttle blades are set correctly so your not exposing the transition slots.Also where do you have the idle mixture screws set at?Is this 2 or 4 corner idle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 355sbc 11.76et @ 116mph 1.67 60' Deluxe Parchment interior
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 02:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

blown power valve will flood out a carb and run rich as hell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
george

Crap in the fuel system will hang a needle and seat open and no fuel level adjustment in the bowl can compensate for this.
Run the engine with 6 psi to the bowls with the sight plugs removed.
Keep safety in mind..do not allow fuel to touch hot engine parts or secondary spark voltage.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Blown power valve or worn / dirt in the needles/seats would be my bet. Replace both power valve and needles/seats and clean out the bowl, put a good inline filter in too and see what happens.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wesley

Thank you for all the responses. I will try those solutions as soon as I can and let you know if it fixes the problem.

1969 Camaro
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Guy

what kind of air breather do you have on it, if you have a cow induction they dont fit right with a Dp and will flood the car.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

check the fuel pressure. too high of pressure will dump fuel into the carb and run rich.

Scott

69 RS/SS X22 51-51 Dusk Blue coupe in resto......still.
69 X11 355 ci M22 3:73 12 bolt...current driver
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 10, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl8z28 View Post
what kind of air breather do you have on it, if you have a cow induction they dont fit right with a Dp and will flood the car.
Hmmmm, I never had problems with either of my DPs and the cowl induction air cleaner?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 10, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wesley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
check the fuel pressure. too high of pressure will dump fuel into the carb and run rich.

Scott

The fuel pressure is fine so that is not it. Unfortunatley since the car is at my Dads house I probably won't be a ble to check all this stuff until a day or so. But please keep on with all the responses. They are very much appreciated.

1969 Camaro
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 10, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wesley

Well we took apart the carb today. Everything seemed fine. It was clean and nothing was blown. The float was stuck because how low it had gotten set but I don't think that would have caused it to flood out so much. We re-tuned it and it seems to be running ok for now, just ideling slightly high in park but that can be adjusted. It's hard to tell in drive because we still need to install a stall speed and it will die if I don't power brake a lot. We'll see what happens I suppose. Haven't checked the fuel pressure yet though. This is basically my last chance on it.

1969 Camaro
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 10, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wesley

Well unfortunatley, my carb is flooding again. I re-adjusted the floats lower one last time but I don't see this ending well. I was advised by another person online who said this" Sounds like the needle and seat assembly needs to be replaced, not just cleaned.
It's a standard procedure for any Holley carb as a regular service overhaul. The needle and seat is included with many of the complete rebuild kits as well.
Just start by getting a new pair of needle and seat assemblies and replace the one in each bowl. re-set the bowl level and your described problem should be solved. "

However, my father says he already checked the needle and that it is fine. Me being only 17, I trust his mechanical skills much more then mine but he's always had a dislike for Holleys so it's going to be very difficult for me to convince him to try this solution unless I do it behind his back. Any more solutions would be great. Fuel pressure is fine, airflow is fine, floats are set fine, I'm all out of ideas.

1969 Camaro
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 03:08 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Does is flood at an idle or when you are driving or both? If it's at an idle, how much vacuum does it have at an idle (manifold vac). If its lower than say 11 inches of vacuum you might need a lower number power valve.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wesley

It floods after driving it for a while or if I've been romping on it a bit. After driving it for a while it will flood and stop ideling. I don't know if this is contributing but ever since the car was wired, MSD ignition, it has trouble turning off. The engine will want to keep turning a few times and sputter off. I'm not sure why it would be doing that.

1969 Camaro
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Al

How do you know the fuel pressure is fine? Have you put a gauge on it? What kind of fuel pump do you have? Mechanical or electric? when you look down the throat of the carb at idle - or even after shut down - can you see fuel dripping from the boosters?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode