starter problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 10, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
dominick

starter problem

just got a 454 for my 69 it has 168 tooth flywheel in good shape x owner said he had stock starter in it I've tried 3 different starters can't seem to get it to engage properly i've shimmed up, down,left & right Now trying to install high torque ac delco confused:https://www.camaros.net/forums/images...s/confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: starter problem

Suggestions:
1) Make sure you don't have a neutral balance flywheel with a weight behind it. This isn't so common, but it happened to me. It's hell to figure out. Not many starters will stretch to meet that wheel.
2) I don't think you need full gear mesh. If you get half of the starter gear on the wheel it can be good enough
3) When checking fit, make sure you twist the starter gear a little by hand as you pull it out to check fit. Otherwise it will just bang against the flywheel, which doesn't happen when the starter is under power.

just a few things I thought of, since you haven't provided much detail.

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 10, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

The balance of the flywheel has no bearing at this point.

It's either a 151 or 168 tooth gear and the right starter needs to be matched with the right ring gear. You can worry about the balance after the engine cranks.

Assuming you are using Chevy parts, for the 168 tooth gear, make sure you have a small nose starter (iron, same size starter bolts, if the bolts are different sizes, you have the wrong starter) and the gears have to mesh better than halfway so that the teeth aren't broken off. Some folks unbend a large paperclip to establish a .060 mesh depth between the gears. Measure at the valley of an enmeshed gear pair.

Aftermarket starters use same size bolts too, but mount the starter in different holes for alignment (consult with aftermarket starter manufacturer)

If you are using the right (Chevy) starter, you may want to inspect your ring gear for missing or worn teeth.

Last edited by mahunt; Jun 29th, 10 at 09:26 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 10, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Also install a starter nose brace if it does not have one. The factory installed it for maintaining proper housing alignment to the flywheel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 10, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Smile Re: starter problem

> Maybe this isn't your case, but I'll bring it to the table anyway. This Guy wanted me to work on his 76 C10 p'up, with 350 / 350TH combo. He complained that for more than a year he was trying to solve a bad starter grinding problem, and for that reason he wasn't interested in finishing his project. He replaced the starter 3 times without good results. Well, he took the c10 to my small shop, and after checking good engagement, and a starter brace, the problem persisted. I asked my wife to start the engine while I was under the car, to look at the starter engagement. (this with safety in mind, like tire chocks, jack stands, and safety goggles)
Well, to my surprise, I noticed that the engine turned correctly for a second or two, then the flywheel turned backwards abruptly, making the nasty grinding noise. The culprit? Excessively advanced ignition timing. A trusty timing light and the problem was solved for good. He's now one of my best clients, and not bad at all that he's also a small body shop ownner.
Hope this helps you or another member, but sometimes we forget to check the easiest areas first.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 10, 03:01 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I believe BB and 168 tooth flywheels use the starter with the staggered bolt pattern. Only other thing is the flywheel is damaged.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 10, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

RE: The balance of the flywheel has no bearing at this point.

The balance does matter if it is being achieved with a separate weight that is installed behind the flywheel, hence jogging it out by almost the thickness of the flywheel again. Then most starters don't reach. Mine didn't.

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
starter issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode