Car wont start after sitting for a couple of days!? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 10, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Car wont start after sitting for a couple of days!?

Hey guys,

My 68 327 wont start after sitting for a couple of days.
It has a new q-jet 4bbl and a new Holley fuel pump. I have to end up dumping some fuel into the carb for it to start if she has been sitting for 2 or more days without being driven or started.
Any idea why this is happening? Its starting to get really frustrating and annoying.
Any help would be great! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 10, 12:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bri

Re: Car wont start after sitting for a couple of days!?

are you getting fuel to the carb?
you might have an air leak in the fuel line causing it to loose flow.

check from carb to pump then pump to tank.

Are you running a steel line from fuel pump to carb or rubber?

"Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."

Albert Einstein

"Never Forget" FDNY 9/11/01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have more than 4 Camaro's am I Addicted?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 10, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcamaro68 View Post
are you getting fuel to the carb?
you might have an air leak in the fuel line causing it to loose flow.

check from carb to pump then pump to tank.

Are you running a steel line from fuel pump to carb or rubber?
Not sure if i am getting fuel to the carb...last time this happened, I took off the air cleaner, and pumped it a couple of times from the throttle linkage, and didnt see any gas squirting into the carb. So that is why I dumped a little fuel into the carb to try to prime it.
I am running the stock line from the tank to the fuel pump, and from the pump to the carb is rubber tubing.
How do I check for an air leak?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Do you have amn Edlebrock carb installed?
If you do, it's more than likely the carb is being heat soaked and fuel evaporates.
Suggestions would be to get a Holley carb or, get a phenolic spacer to block the heat.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech

Is it a new carb or rebuilt? Some of the old Quadrajets had the plugs in the bottom of the carb corrode and leak into the intake.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Do you have amn Edlebrock carb installed?
If you do, it's more than likely the carb is being heat soaked and fuel evaporates.
Suggestions would be to get a Holley carb or, get a phenolic spacer to block the heat.
Nope...its a rebuilt Q-jet 4bbl.
I have a 1/4 phenolic spacer as well.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Is it a new carb or rebuilt? Some of the old Quadrajets had the plugs in the bottom of the carb corrode and leak into the intake.
It is a rebuilt Q-jet 4bbl.
I guess I'll check the bottom of it, but it is an extremely new rebuild...about 3 months old.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As a troubleshooting tip, you might set up outside the garage, a table with newspaper on it and after a good run, remove the carb and set it on the table with a white towel underneath and leave it set for a couple days to see the drainage if it from the plugs.

If the carb is draining, turn it upside down, view the 'well' the plugs set in, and clean with BraKleen or lacquer thinner, and fill the void with JB Weld and let it cure. Might take a razor blade and while the JB Weld is semi-soft, skim off the top to make it flush with throttle plate.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
As a troubleshooting tip, you might set up outside the garage, a table with newspaper on it and after a good run, remove the carb and set it on the table with a white towel underneath and leave it set for a couple days to see the drainage if it from the plugs.

If the carb is draining, turn it upside down, view the 'well' the plugs set in, and clean with BraKleen or lacquer thinner, and fill the void with JB Weld and let it cure. Might take a razor blade and while the JB Weld is semi-soft, skim off the top to make it flush with throttle plate.
OK...but what do you mean "see the drainage if it from the plugs"?
What if it is not draining? Is it supposed to?
This is getting SUPER frustrating! I just went outside to start her up ten minutes ago and nothing!
It ran for a good 20 minutes last night after pouring fuel in the carb. Then I turned her off, went inside, and just to be sure, went back after about an hour, an she started right up...now after sitting for less than 12 hours...nothing! I dont understand whats going on! If it was my fuel pump...it wouldnt run for 20 minutes, right? I am just getting really annoyed....so thanks for the help on this!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Oh...one other thing I'd like to add that may help...last night when she was running...I did notice that the throttle adjustment screw was all the way in...if I loosened it...the idle would drop to below 500 RPM's, so I had to screw it back in to keep it at 1000RPM, and now its all the way in! I dont think thats a good thing...just thought that this may help in diagnosing this extremly frustrating problem!
Thanks again for the help!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If fuel is leaking past the plugs, it will stain the towel and no, not suppose to drain from the plugs. Since the carb was rebuilt, it more than likely went through a caustic bath for cleaning and may have upset the lead plugs.

Next time you try it, fill the bowl through the vent tube and observe the start-up.
If quick, then gas is being evaporated from the bowl due to heat soak of the carb.

Now if it does start fairly easy, how does one insulate the carb since you have a phenolic spacer? If you have stock exhaust manifolds, make sure the heat riser is opening and not staying closed to direct hot exhaust through the manifold. Heat riser has a weight on it and gravity pulls it down to open as heat expands the spring.

'
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If idle screw is all the way in, the float level may be too high. I find 3/8 inch from the end of the float to the top of the air horn with gasket when turned upside down.

'
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
If fuel is leaking past the plugs, it will stain the towel and no, not suppose to drain from the plugs. Since the carb was rebuilt, it more than likely went through a caustic bath for cleaning and may have upset the lead plugs.

Next time you try it, fill the bowl through the vent tube and observe the start-up.
If quick, then gas is being evaporated from the bowl due to heat soak of the carb.

Now if it does start fairly easy, how does one insulate the carb since you have a phenolic spacer? If you have stock exhaust manifolds, make sure the heat riser is opening and not staying closed to direct hot exhaust through the manifold. Heat riser has a weight on it and gravity pulls it down to open as heat expands the spring.
OK...when I do pour gas into the vent tube...it does start up immediately.
I do not have stock manifolds...I have headers.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
If idle screw is all the way in, the float level may be too high. I find 3/8 inch from the end of the float to the top of the air horn with gasket when turned upside down.
OK...well the idle screw is in all the way, but I know nothing about carbs (but i think I'm gonna learn really fast!).
Is there a link or web page that can help me do this? I dont even know where to being to check the float level...I know, I am making this easy for you arent I! Sorry.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You can remove the top of the carb without removing it from the manifold.
Pull the cotter pins/clips for the accel pump linkage rod and choke lever, remove all the screws, those in the middle also and the two front mounting bolts.
Pull up gently as fuel rods come with it.
Keep track of the length of screws to position.
Set float level and reinstall.

Might visit a local shop and copy pages from an older Motors Manual. Might even let you borrow/rent book.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode