NEED HELP 69 RS Vacuum Problem - PLEASE HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 10, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

NEED HELP 69 RS Vacuum Problem - PLEASE HELP

Ok, finishing a factory restoration on my RS/SS 396. The problem i'm having is with the RS headlight doors. They open and close smoothly, only problem is the open when I turn the lights off and close when I turn the lights on. Exactly backwards of how they should work.

I have already switched the hoses on the interior light switch, same condition, I was thinking possibly the hoses on the actuators??? All parts are brand new. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 10, 10:50 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: NEED HELP 69 RS Vacuum Problem - PLEASE HELP

Switch the red and green at the vacuum relay (over-ride switch)...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 10, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech
Peter

I just had the same problem and what Dennis just said is the problem. Switch the red and green hoses on the vac relay (next to the vac canister on the drivers side front) and this should solve your problem. You will also have to make sure your headlight switch has the vac lines on the correct sides (you said you reversed them).

If you do a search for 69 RS headlight vac lines on this site you can pull up a good schematic of how everything should be run.

Peter

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 10, 04:53 PM
Dave

A friend of mine whose opinion I highly respect regarding all things First Gen Camaro has told me that the 'New Vacuum Line Kits' only last about a year before they begin to rot & leak. Has anyone else experienced this? If so is there a 'better' kit out there that doesn't rot away after a year or so?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a '69 RSZ that I'm starting on shortly after I sell my current car.

Thanks in advance for the replies! Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 10, 05:17 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

My line kit is over 10 years old and I have had to trim the ends a bit a couple times. It use to be a common issue but I haven't heard the complaints here in a few years so maybe the kit manufactures have kicked up the quality these days...

You can try to find bulk hose with the correct dia and color but it may not be an easy find... Maybe call someone like these guys...

http://www.cleanseal.com/hose.htm

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 10, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

As has been said, either switch them at the relay (which IIRC the repos are labeled backwards) or at the actuators. Same result.

Many of the vac hideaway systems are "switched" at the headlight switch, but not a 69 RS.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode