Gas gauge pegged - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Gas gauge pegged

After taking two years to do major mods (200 4R, 8.5" Nova posi, Classic Auto A/C, Alum radiator, Hotchkiss susp) to my '68 Camaro I decided to prepare for a road trip. First, I siphoned the old gas out of the tank. There was only about a gallon of old gas in the tank. Still smelled like gasoline. Had not turned to gel or varniish. Second, I poured 4 gal of fresh fuel in the tank. Third, I disconnected the fuel line at the carb and stuck it into a Miller's quart bottle. Poured some gas into the carb and started the engine. Did this a couple of times until I got about a quart and a half of old fuel out of the line. Connected the fuel line to the carb. The engine started right up and ran good. But, the gas gauge is pegged at 3:00, and doesn't move. Is it possible when I siphoned the old fuel out with a garden hose the hose disturbed the fuel level float??

Last edited by IRON MAN; Jul 25th, 10 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 04:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Gas gauge pegged

That's possible, but not likely unless you were really thrashing that hose around in there
Most likely, the wire to the sender is grounded somewhere along it's route to the tank
If you did or had any exhaust, suspension or body/frame work done it may have gotten pinched into something causing it to short to ground and peg gauge.
I've even seen a screw for the door sill plate go into th ewire and mess up the gauge signal

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Re: Gas gauge pegged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
That's possible, but not likely unless you were really thrashing that hose around in there
Most likely, the wire to the sender is grounded somewhere along it's route to the tank
If you did or had any exhaust, suspension or body/frame work done it may have gotten pinched into something causing it to short to ground and peg gauge.
I've even seen a screw for the door sill plate go into th ewire and mess up the gauge signal
Vintage68, Thank you for the quick response. I disconnected the wire plug that goes to the sender on the gas tank near the base of the trunk lock. Ran a wire from the batt (+) to the brown sender wire and turned the ignition switch to on. The gas gauge remained pegged at 3:00. Should I fill the tank up 16 gal, drive it, and see what happens as the gas is used up? Don't know if that would determine anything.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Look underneath the tank on the front side (by rear axle) where the passenger side tank strap loops through the hanger on the underside of the trunk pan. See if the black ground wire coming from the sending unit is screwed on there good.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 10:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Gas gauge pegged

Actually, you do not want to power up the 'brown' wire to the sender
The power (+12) goes to (and through) the gauge and then to the level sender unit in the tank - so the "sender" is actually a 'reciever' as a path to ground for the gauge
So if you unplug the sender wire at the tank, and the gauge still stayed 'pegged' (or reads high level) then the problem is in the wiring between the gauge and the where you unplugged the sender wire.
If, after you've unplugged that sender and then turned the key to 'on' the gauge no longer reads high - the problem is the sender or float in the tank ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 10, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Vintage68, Thank you for the very clear explanation. So the level sender unit acts as a " receiver" as a path to ground. You have convinced me to trace the float sender wire to the gauge. I suspect the wire is grounding on top of the gas tank. I've got the '68 on jack stands to make tracking the wire easier. I will post where the problem was (hopefully) when I get this solved.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 10, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Ground the brown wire in the trunk. There should be a connector there. Make sure you have the wire going to the guage. Turn the key on. Does it go to empty. If it does then its between the connector going to the sending unit or ground/ sending unit.

If it still stays at the 3 oclock position then its the wiring to the guage or the guage.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 10, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I would do as Mike (prostreet69camaro) stated.

By unplugging the connector in the trunk, you will have two terminal ends. If you ground the end going towards the gauge and then turn on the ignition, the gauge should read empty or below. By grounding this wire you are creating close to a 0 ohms resistance just like the sending unit should if the tank was empty. If the gauge reads empty or below, go in the back and take the jumper wire going to ground off of the connector end and the gauge should then read full or above. With an open circuit there is an infinite resistance which is higher than 90 ohms which the sending unit should have when the tank is full.

With grounding and leaving open the connection in the trunk you can find out which way the problem is. Either forwards towards the gauge or rearward to and through the sending unit and then to the ground wire connection to the body of the car. I've seen both gauge problems and sending unit problems in vehicles so if after the test forward things are made to work you may still have a problem with the sending unit and it's wiring. You just have to go through the steps to find the problem(s).

I've also seen a fair amount of original crimped connections onto wire look good and be mechanically solid but electrically they are bad. You may have to get out a meter to do some advanced troubleshooting.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 08:16 PM
Tech Team
Paul

Hi Guys,
Trying to fix my next problem( gas guage) With the sending unit wire plugged in the trunk (tan wire) my guage is pegged @ 9 oclock with key on and doesn't move. When i diconnect that tan wire and turn the key on then it goes past full ? I have a new tank ,wires from the trunk to main harness and new sending unit. Can anyone help me narrow it down as I'm not to good with wiring problems.

1967 Camaro SS Bahama Blue with White Stripes
383 Stroker M-22 4 spTrans & Posi 3:73
Deluxe Black Interior
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 10:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

This is a good fuel gauge/wiring diagnosis methid:
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref18.html

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 09:04 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Thanks

1967 Camaro SS Bahama Blue with White Stripes
383 Stroker M-22 4 spTrans & Posi 3:73
Deluxe Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode