Run problem-Carb? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 10, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Dave

Run problem-Carb?

Hi Guys, I've just gotten my '69 Z running and I have a run problem that I believe is the carbs fault???? I get the car warmed up and the idle set to 900 rpm, the timing set to 6-8 degrees advance; (vacuum advance disconnected, carb plugged) and it sounds great. (If I advance the static timing it does run smoother.) Then the idle will all of a sudden jump up to 2000 or higher and stay there.

Specs:
.060 over DZ block
1178 crank
Comps version of the 30-30 cam-solid lifters
186 heads-2.02s-1.60s
KB 11-1 replacement forged pistons
472 intake
4053 Holley carb
480 distributor

Let me know if you need more info in order to help me track this one down. I'm getting frustrated I bet one of you guys has seen this or something similiar and may be able to help me out. Thank you in advance!!!! Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 10, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Re: Run problem-Carb?

Is the centifugal advance taking over when you raise the static timing and increasing the idle speed, how mcu are you advancing the timing before the idle takes off?

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 10, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Dave

Hey Dan, Thanks for your reply! I'm begining to think my distributor is all *&^#@#^&* up! I think I'll mess around with the advance because I think this is what's going on. I have been spending WAAAAY too much time on this issue-usually you just set the timing and go. I was already on this train of thought when I checked back on this forum. I guess great minds think alike! Well yours anyway! Thanks for your input! Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 10, 01:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

advance th etiming to where you want it to be, then re-adjust the carb throttle screw and mixture...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Dave

Hi Kieth, thanks for your response!

I took it around the block again and I'm convinced I have problems with my distributor. I put heavier springs on my advance weights and that didn't change the way it's running. (I purchased an advance kit and installed medium weight springs when I installed the distributor.) I may have some points lying around here to try those-or I'll run to NAPA and see what that does; I've always had good luck with Echlin products....

Under load it's cutting out at about 2000-2200 rpm and rather than try to force it past I shift to the next gear and then at about 2000 it starts cutting out again. Maybe the coil is past retirement age....The problem seems to be in my fire side of the air-fuel-fire triangle. I have an MSD distributor that I might try and see what that does....

I'll figure this out one way or another-THANKS AGAIN!!!! Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 05:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

If I can suggest--a lot of folks spend a ton of cash on different dizzy/ignition setups...

I have found that a mostly stock (maybe upgrade the coil) HEI upgrade is cost efficient, and will give you all of the fire you need, unless you are building an all-out race machine...GM got it right with the HEI, and it is a simple upgrade...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Dave

I completely concur. In fact of the 'points type' distributors the GM versions were the best. I know that in past cars I've turned over 8,000 RPM with a stock GM distributor-accidently of course-my foot got suddenly too heavy....I only did that a couple of times-but if you've EVER wound a small block up that tight-you'll NEVER forget that sound! Believe it or not-it stayed together!

My intention with this car is to sell it so I can start on my RS Z. That said, I intended to have this car go out with a fully functioning '480' distributor. If that can't happen it can't-but I want to make evey attempt to make it work. You are right, an HEI would take care of the run problem-but it's not original.

Thanks again for your help Keith, I truly appreciate it! Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode