Idle drops when put in gear - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 10, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kalif Johnson

Send a message via AIM to dreamweaver
Idle drops when put in gear

69 Camaro, 350/300 original motor, Quadrajet carb

Engine and trans rebuilt about 1,000 miles ago, mild cam, 10/1 cokmpression, rebuilt and restored carb, it's never quite idled correctly. New points, plugs, wires, dist cap, condenser and rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, vacuum advance.

In neutral it is set at about 800, drops down to about 550 - 600 when put in gear. Played with the idle circuit today, pulled the screws and blew them out, readjusted. Idle is set at 11 degrees adv, total advance is 31.... any higher than that and it pings.

Played with the idle speed and it seems "happy" at around 800 static. Has a slight hesitation at initial acceleration (about 1/2 of a second), and then it just runs like a brand new motor. Doesn't have the greatest acceleration at low end but not sure what to compare it to??? Seems like it should have a little more "umph" at takeoff.

Thoughts batted around today with Farmboy are:
  • Carb rebuild? - It's fresh, but maybe the restoration company I sent it to didn't do it properly??
  • Torque converter? - The trans is not original, but it is from a 69 Camaro. The transmission shop I sent it to for a rebuild put a torque converter on it, but I don't know which one they used
I hate to mess wit hit because it runs so good, but it would be nice to see a little more power from it at lower RPM's and get rid of the loping at idle when in gear.

"The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim." - Gustave Le Bon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Idle drops when put in gear

With aftermarket camshaft, as you see, more initial tining is needed, and more curb idle.
With a stock convertor, read tight, I would expect the amount of drop.
Might try reducing the idle speed alittle to reduce the amount of idle rpm drop.
Might try the other hole in the in the accelerator lever to reduce stumble.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kalif Johnson

Thanks Everett...

We played with the idle speed, back and forth with the fuel mixtures, trying to find the right combination. Started out at about 730, bumped it as high as 1,100 with varing idle speeds / fuel trim. Found that it runs best at where it currently is, but for that dang "curb idle", as you put it.

I'll take a shot at moving it to the other hole ... THAT would be cool if it was the fix.

"The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim." - Gustave Le Bon

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Is this a new symptom or has this been the way it has run since day 1?

alan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kalif Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
Is this a new symptom or has this been the way it has run since day 1?

alan
It's been happening ever since the motor and trans got rebuilt. That was the first thing we did after I bought it.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

With a vacuum gauge connected to the manifold, what is the reading of the gauge?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Hmm, could it be the character of the cam? He is running 10:1 compression. If the cam is anything like a Z-28, off idle response is gonna kinda anemic, right?

I would think that any time you start changing engine parameters in a custom build, varibles start changing pretty quick and unanticipated symptoms can arise, no?

alan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kalif Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
With a vacuum gauge connected to the manifold, what is the reading of the gauge?
Dunno - The last time I had it on the road (18 months ago) I was at Farmboy's house and he adjusted it accordingly. I will have to wait until I can go to his house again to see.

I just read through the instructions on the Vac gauge and it says (in the instrutions) that it should be between 17 and 22. However, looking at the gauge, it has a "red zone" in that area with writing on the gauge that says, if it IS in that range (including the 17-22 reading) that it needs _________ (something.. I can't remember now??? Maybe valves adjusted? )

Anyway, I am not sure how to use that tool so I will wait until I get with Farmboy and see what he can decipher. Thanks for the help.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kalif Johnson

Here's the cam I used:

Summit Camshafts
Camshaft, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 272/ 282, Lift .442/ .465, Chevy, Small Block

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 12:42 PM
Guess

My vacuum gauge is red-lined and says the same thing at that range..... "Timing Too Late" (or something to do with timing) and something about "Valves Not Adjusted".
Hey, if I'm getting 18\19 inches of vacuum, I'm happy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode