Starter Drags when turned over - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Starter Drags when turned over

This is for a 1995 Mitsbishi Mirage

When I start the car, the starter really drags like the battery is almost dead. I took the battery off and charged it overnight. DVM measured at 12.5V. Dropped the battery back in and the car started up, then two days later the starter began dragging again. Swapped the battery with a brand new one and replaced the stock japanese battery terminals with Americans ones making sure they were bolted as tightly to the battery post as they could be.

Car started up fine. Two days later, its dragging again. The Alternator was receintly pulled and rebuilt with all new parts. Builder tested it good right in front of me. Before bolting it in, I took it to Autozone as an additional precaution and they too tested it clean. All the wires and connections are all securely fastened and the wires have no visible signs of damage to them anywhere.

What else am I missing here?

Should I simply replace the starter, or try something else first?

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Re: Starter Drags when turned over

Did you verified the ground cable connection? not on the battery.
Autozone should be able to check the starter operation with meter.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 05:44 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Sounds like there is a drain on the battery. Place a test light in between the negative battery cable and the negative batt terminal. One end of the test light on the neg batt cable and touch the terminal post with the light. If it has a dim light when you do this, there is a drain somewhere.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Sounds like there is a drain on the battery. Place a test light in between the negative battery cable and the negative batt terminal. One end of the test light on the neg batt cable and touch the terminal post with the light. If it has a dim light when you do this, there is a drain somewhere.
I will try this. If this doesnt prove anything, I will look at the starter

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would imagine being a '95, there will be some current drawn due to late model electronics, ie, radio and PCM.

Good symptom is starter works fine with a fully charged battery. An electrical voltage check across the battery posts should produce an indication of min 14 volts.

Start be looking at the ground cable from engine to battery, then with meter on negative post of battery, measure alt BAT stud and if meter shows alt working, then proceed with wiring check to battery. Could be a fusible link blown or fuse blown as most imports have ALT fuse.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 11, 02:30 PM
Tom

I agree with DT. If your starter works fine without dragging on a freshly charged battery, there is nothing wrong with the starter. However, if you continue cranking it on low voltage (dragging) there will be a problem soon.
You can check for a parasitic drain on the battery with a test light as mentioned but on most modern cars, there is a small drain all the time. Its best to check it with a multimeter (volt meter) that has an "amp" setting. I got mine at a local auto parts for $20. Get one that will read at least 10 amps. (not enough to test an alternator output but enough to measure a drain) Normal drain from computer, clock etc. with the key off should be in MA (milliamps) if you are reading 1 amp or more, you have a short somewhere or a defective component. You can start pulling fuses one at a time while watching the meter and when it drops to zero (or very close to it) you have found the circuit draining your battery. Last but not least, if you have a drain but no circuits change what shows on the meter, try disconnecting the alternator. A bad diode in the alternator can cause this type of drain too. Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Tomh
www.Mad-Parts.com
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 11, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I pulled the starter and had it rebuilt. Every since then its ran just fine. The guy at the shop said that having a weak battery can also killa starter..very slowly.

Anyway she's fien now. Thanks for responding!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 15, 12:59 PM

I disagree that if a starter doesn't drag with a freshly charged battery the problem is a voltage drain. A freshly charged battery has the ability to overcome the problem with the starter but the starter produces a big drain on the battery. Before long the battery will become too discharged to overcome the problem and the starter will once again start to drag.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 15, 02:32 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Welcome to Team Camaro RSmith. Just an FYI here; This thread is 4 1/2 years old.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 15, 03:40 PM

lol. Yes, I knew it was an old thread but I figured if I stumbled across it looking for information that someone else might also stumble across it. It appears there is some incomplete and perhaps misleading information on this thread that might steer someone in the wrong direction. Just trying to offer a helping hand for someone in need. Thanks for the "heads up", however.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 15, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech

Fluid in the cylinders (coolant, oil, gas) can cause a motor to nearly seize up when trying to crank it over. Hope it is a bad connection or battery issue, since fluid in the cylinder is not a good thing (bad head gasket, etc.)

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 15, 05:58 PM

Fluid in the cylinder will definitely cause the motor to "lock up" on the compression stroke. I think the issue in this instance is that the starter will not turn over fast enough for the motor to start. That condition would seem to point to either an inadequate electrical connection, bad battery, bad starter solenoid or bad starter itself. It seems the person asking the question was able to resolve his issue by having the starter rebuilt. I currently am dealing with a similar issue and after eliminating all other possibilities I also have decided to replace the starter. Now the only thing holding me back is getting enough ambition to get out there and make the swap! :-) (It's an off-road vehicle so there's no urgency.)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 15, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

I had this problem with my car. After getting a new battery and not solving the problem, I installed a high torque starter. Immediate relief! just my 2 cents worth..

Jeff

67 RS/SS Conv, 4Sp, Tach and gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode