Crazy Wipers on my 1968 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 10, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Giorgio

Crazy Wipers on my 1968 Camaro

Need some help with my 1968 Camaro .

When I turn the wiper knob to the first position the wipers starts in slow mode ,after a few moves the wipers went to high speed ( without touching the knob).Than it doesn't matter were the knob position is, the wipers turn with high speed also in "OFF" position( crazy ).
It isn't possible to switch them off, when it stops raining (during movemnent) and they start to get noisy ( squeezing), than they stop when knob is in OFF position .

The wipers also stop, if I switch the car off.

Is the switch damaged or is it an unsufficent ground wire problem?

What can I do to solve the problem?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 10:18 AM
Tech Team
Eli

Re: Crazy Wipers on my 1968 Camaro

My wiper motor also has a mind of its own. Never turns on by itself but sometimes it will speed up when its on without touching the knob. I think the knob/switch gets corroded or something. I took mine out of the dash and cleaned it up which helped but still does it on occasion. Is yours the original switch?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Giorgio

I think it is the original switch, but I didn`t know it 100%.
How can I see if it is the original one and is it possible to open the switch?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli's67 View Post
My wiper motor also has a mind of its own. Never turns on by itself but sometimes it will speed up when its on without touching the knob. I think the knob/switch gets corroded or something. I took mine out of the dash and cleaned it up which helped but still does it on occasion. Is yours the original switch?
Are we talking "Shades of Christine" here.. like does your radio also come on?

Could be a loose or poor connection?

capt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 08:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Remember, the switch provides the ground to the wiper motor. The power is the yellow wire on the motor. The motor is also grounded through the mounting grommet sleeves. Lots of grounds to get messed up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The switch is stuffed.....before pulling out very carefiully take the mounting screws off the back and dont break the plastic pins they go into
If you do run search ...I broke a couple and sorted the issue out
Get another switch before pulling the old one out..its a bitch of a job..the mounting screw pin issue....if it is stuffed u replace straight way...
And yes they can be dismantled and rebuilt inside, If you dont have the spring jump out and get lost into the ether...it will last another few months and you will end up buying a new one any way

And take VERY good notice of the posts above re the switch being grounded if you are going to test it hanging under the dash..if you dont that will screw you logic up big time lol

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Giorgio

I ordered a new switch , before starting the switch disassemble :-).

Thanks for your help :-) .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Giorgio

Wiper problem again.

When I turn the ignition key, the wiper works perfect.
But when I start up the engine and the engine is running and I switch on the wiper it works and when I switch off the wiper it did not stop.
When I switch off the engine the wiper stops !
Only if engine is running the wiper does not stop anymore , when the rain stops and the wiper works hard on the dry window than he stops also but there are every time black rubber marks on window .

Crazy, what is that problem caused by?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
But when I start up the engine and the engine is running and I switch on the wiper it works and when I switch off the wiper it did not stop.
When I switch off the engine the wiper stops !
When u turn the engine off u are turning the ign side of the fuse block off which the wipers are part of that side
Generally the little cam mechanism doesnt flick the switch inside the wiper motor assembly
Generally this wears out no long before the switch dies.
It was a long time ago when I last fixed mine.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode