69 Headlight Vacuum Problem (again) - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gary

Question 69 Headlight Vacuum Problem (again)

I have done several searches, read several posts, but can't exactly find my problem posted.
Here goes, When I pull the switch my doors open fine, when I turn off the lights the driver side closes fine, the Pass side looks to start, but does not close, if I "help" the door close to about half way, the vacuum closes it the rest of the way?
I have new canasters, hoses, they have been on the car for a few years while the car was in storage. I trimed the ends of the hoses, didn't help.

Any ideas??? And yes, I still Love the darn thing! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: 69 Headlight Vacuum Problem (again)

It could be as simple as a slight bind in the door mechanism. There is a long vertical bolt that acts as the hinge pin, with a nut on the bottom. If that nut is too tight, it could be enough resistance that the acuator can't pull the door closed. Try loosening the nut 1/4 turn at a time and see if that helps. There are also a couple of other bolts that things rotate on, and they may be too tight as well. Also, some aerosol silicone lube sprayed into all of the articulating joints could possibly help as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 06:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

As Al is saying, it's most likely the the door binding a bit... I get mine working nice for a short while and then they don't open or close exactly even or close right when I turn off the lights... Everything in the door assemblys is somewhat loose which I believe causes the binding. I have found that if I shut the lights off and kill the engine, then fire it back up after about 30 seconds or more they snap closed.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gary

Thumbs up Re: 69 Headlight Vacuum Problem (again)

Thanks guys, Would be great if the fix is that easy!
I'll give it a go tonight.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 07:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I'm assembling mine now and it seems that some of the bushings are tight in the holes due to paint. I looking for a tight assembly but not so tight that it binds. Another thing I discovered is the wave washers in the bushing kit I got don't fit over the bolts correctly. the center hole is too small and won't keep things in tension like it should.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode