69 RS ignition problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Ronnie

69 RS ignition problems

Ok so my dad and I just recently started working on the 69 RS and it hasn't been started in a good while. We've put in all new spark plugs, battery, distributor cap, wireset, and solenoid. The engine is getting gas and firing, and the starter is turning over, but there is no connection.
Anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong?

Thanks,

Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 05:27 AM
Guess

Re: 69 RS ignition problems

Welcome Ronnie! I love the Greenville area.

What do you mean by 'no connection'?? Any backfiring or anything through the carb? Heavy gas smell?
If it's really been that long, drain the gas tank and put fresh in. Change the fuel filter for sure!

You can test whether it's the gas or not if you're really careful... put a cup of fuel in a pop can and run a piece of fuel line (not just any rubber hose) to the fuel inlet of the carb. Feed the carb with that fresh gas and see if the engine stays running. Make sure the can doesn't spill!!!!!

Loosen the distributor just enough to turn it and play with the timing as you try to start it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Ronnie

Thank you

There is something that we are either missing or haven't done thats causing the engine to not start. There was no backfiring at all and we had put fresh gas in the tank, and we fed the carb with fresh gas.

Even with the new solenoid, distributor cap, rotor cap, spark plugs, and wireset the starter is turning and clicking, but the engine isn't starting and we are having trouble finding out what could be the problem.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Pull a plug wire off a plug and insert screwdriver into wire end and hold screwdriver about 1/4 inch from a good ground and during cranking, you should see a spark.

No spark, check point set? 0.016" gap. Coil can be tested the same way.
If spark, then hold throttle wide open as engine may be flooded. Plugs may be fouled with fuel and need drying out.

A squirt of starting fluid would help. If engine is cranking slowly, it may not be developing enough vacuum to start fuel flow - pull plugs and lube cylinder walls with oil and crank with plugs out to distribute oil.

Always have the battery charger on between rounds of starting to ensure a good charge for both starting and ignition voltage. Might need the yellow wire installed between the solenoid R terminal and coil + to assist in starting.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 03:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Welcome Ronnie!
OK, 'turning and clicking'. To me, a clicking starter is one that's not getting enough voltage as from a poor connection or a dead battery. We all know what a proper working starter motor does. So the question I have for you is, does the engine spin properly (crank) (turn over) (you know) or just sit there with the starter, well, clicking?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Ronnie

Well, I inhereted the car from my grandfather, so I don't really know a lot. Which is why im here, but it turns over, but will not start. We've basically replaced the most needed things, spark plugs, wireset, rotor cap, distributor cap, put fresh gas in the car and carb, and the starter is fine.

We think it has something to do with the points, because the car hasn't been started in a while.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 10, 06:04 AM
Guess

Replace the points and condenser.
If it hasn't been run in a real long time, think about rebuilding the carb and replace the float to get all the old varnish and gunk out of it. Maybe there's a mouse in the float bowl.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 10, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

bad gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 10, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
bad gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had that last night!

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 10, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Ronnie

Thank you everyone for your advice, it helped alot.
We got the car started and all we have to do is put in the new fuel pump and tires.

I took a lot of pictures of basically every angle of the car, that you can see at the link below:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=532add44b4

What would be the best way for me to go, rebuilding the engine and transmission, or go into body work?

Thanks,

Ronnie
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 10, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Al

...at least clean up that rat's nest under the hood......

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 10, 04:59 AM
Guess

Fuel pump! Why didn't I think of that?! I knew it sounded like a fuel problem.

If you want to drive and enjoy the car now (seeing as how it doesn't snow down there!), you can go through the car mechanically a little at a time first and still drive it. Brakes, ALL the fluids changed front to back, wheel bearings, shocks, check the wiring front to back, etc.
Then go at the body. Once you start working on the body... repairing panels, etc., you may find the car is off the road for an extended period of time.
Then do the interior AFTER body work. You don't want body work dirt\dust and paint overspray getting in there and ruining everything.
Oh... and buy an M&H engine harness and replace everything under the hood in a couple hours. It's a quick and simple swap.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 10, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rek4881 View Post
Well, I inhereted the car from my grandfather, so I don't really know a lot. Which is why im here, but it turns over, but will not start. We've basically replaced the most needed things, spark plugs, wireset, rotor cap, distributor cap, put fresh gas in the car and carb, and the starter is fine.

We think it has something to do with the points, because the car hasn't been started in a while.
Great inheritance! After looking through you pictures, you have a lot of work to do, all fun work. Don't get discouraged, you have a great starter car. Being from your grandfather makes it even more special. I agree with the advise to get all of the mechanical work done first. It is very nerve wracking to pull an engine over a brand new paint job.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 10, 03:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

And don't do ANYTHING until you replace that fuel line with a real one! Nothing! Do nothing else first! Nada.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Having just done a full mechanical restoration and cleaned up the interior, I can say that if I had it to do over again I would've done the body first. If you want to restore it, a lot of the stuff you may do to make it driveable may have to come back off of it when you have it blasted. That's why I just found another one already restored so I could swap everything onto it.

If you think you may redo the body, send me a pm and I'll give you the phone number of a guy in Spartanburg who does soda blasting very reasonably. He's got a mobile unit and can do it on site.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode