Whats the problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 10, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Preston

Exclamation Whats the problem

my 95 camaro 3.4 will start and run fine if you prime the intake with a mist of fuel. like i said once it starts it runs fine..dont hear the pump run when i turn on the key...could this b the relay and where exactly do i find the relay for the pump..if you dont think its the relay i would appreciate any and all suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 10, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Whats the problem

Buy a Haynes manual for the car, it will show where the f/pump relay is at for you to touch.

Once the engine starts, does it continue to run? If it does, the pump is getting power through the oil pressure switch, I believe.

When the ign switch is turned on, the PCM sends out a control signal for the f/pump relay to close to energize the pump. It could also be a loose ground on the other side of the relay coil.

As most devices are PCM controlled, the relay coil has battery power on one side of the coil, and PCM supplies voltage to the other side of the coil, the relay is open. When PCM closes the relay, the one side of coil power from the PCM, goes low by PCM action and closes the relay. So, the driver for the relay inside the PCM may be broken, and PCM replacement is the solution. But hopefully, it won't be this condition of damage.

Welcome to the Club, Preston.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Preston

Question Re: Whats the problem

ok so the car does run if you prime it and im with you on it running off the oil pressure switch but the pump kicks on when you turn the switch on the pump runs as its supposed to but when you turn the key it starts then dies but if you prime the intake its fine??????does this help you understand my problem any better...thanks for your reply that was a well educated responce on other sites ive got off the wall answers..sorry for the long post but this car is driving me nuts lol thanks again

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 04:18 AM
Guess

Closed one of your threads because it was the same question... merged the two together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If pump works for a couple seconds with the key to IGN, good sign - PCM drvr is good, fuel pump is good, and relay is good as it is being controlled by the PCM.

Relay is controlled by two parallel paths one- PCM; two - oil pressure switch. Usually crank for some time to get oil pressure up to close switch to energize.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Preston

thanks for the help you all have a great commutity and im going to take the car to a garage tomorrow morning and i will post the results so maybe one of you never have to go through this with your Camaro
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Preston

Thumbs up Fixed finally

ok so this problem never puzzles anyone else the key switch was worn and when it died it was because u let the pressure off the key causing the resistor to lose connection...it took the garage 30 min to find the problem and 1 hour to fix it so all parts and labor left a $135 bill but the car is perfect now
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 09:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Whats the problem

Thanks for the follow-up post

Second time this week I've heard of a 'bad ingnition switch' causing a non-start condition in a GM product - after years of never hearing it was the problem ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Preston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Thanks for the follow-up post

Second time this week I've heard of a 'bad ingnition switch' causing a non-start condition in a GM product - after years of never hearing it was the problem ...
thanks ...it was so puzzling to me...i can do some mechanical work myself but everything i could think to check was fine so i finally had it hauled to the garage and the fixed it so easy i felt dumb but now my Camaro is on the road where it belongs..Camaros are killing the mustangs with their nicer interiors and more sleek body lines so noone should ever let one sit...get out there and fix your Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode