Vibration Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 10, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

Send a message via AIM to jimbo8397
Vibration Problems

Ok, this is my problem. When I drive in the street doing under 55 car feels fine, once I hit the parkway and hit 60 and over I have a very bad vibration through out the car. When I take my foot off the gas the vibration stops and if I hit the gas the vibration starts again. What the hell is this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 10, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Vibration Problems

Flex plate, drive shaft and/or univerersals, wheel out of balance, paint between the wheel hub and wheel.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 10, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Coasting no Vibration but cruising at 60 and under throttle at 60: My bet is universals, Bent you Drive shaft over a Speed Bump or hit a Curb recently are you the only driver ?

Did this just start out of nowhere - What is your RIDE ?

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

I have 79 camaro z28 with 500hp, always had this problem and I just changed the driveshaft built for 700hp. They put soild u joints in, but they didn't change the yoke they took that one off of the old one. My header is very close to the a-arm, maybe its hitting it when I apply the gas pedal. How can I check that?. just by me looking at it it's real close and I already had taken it off and banged it in, but still looks close. It also feels like the mufflers our pipes leaning on the floor boards, but I just got the whole system done. I'm changing parts that are new and still having the problem. whats my next step?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

Ok guys my friend told me to change the tranny mount and take the poly one out and replace it with the rubber type, so when I tryed to do that I loosened the bolts and the tranny shifted to the passengers side about 3/8. I had to get a friend and pry the tranny back towards the passengers side to get the mount back in. I don't know if this is my problem our just another one. any help would be grateful for your help guys. Thanks again for your time and help.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If things are rubbing put a bit of crayon on the area...it may tap or rub but not enough to show on paint/suface
But a "vibration" and a rub feel very different.
Have you put it up on a hoist and spun her up to speed, see if still does it?
If so it is not hard to then locate with a mechanics stethoscope...or even a stand dr s one...those u can turn and find the direction the sound comes from.
Stethoscopes are only a couple bucks.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 10, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

Ok I had taken the car out for a test ride after I had fixed the wrong angle of the tranny. The car still makes that vibration feeling after 55 but what I did was on the parkway doing 60mph I had slipped the car in neutral and gave the car gas and brought up the rpm's and I felt the vibration feeling. What could that be?. Also If you can give me your in put of this, I had Installed a new oil dipstick what direction does the stick go. I had faced it curved in towards the motor and found out that the dipstick was cut up. Hope I didn't hurt the engine. Thanks for your help
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 10, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Balance drive shaft. I had the exact same thing.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 05:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I had an issue with the fan clutch on the rad fan not disengaging and would get a bad vibration to the point I took out the water pump bearings and losened off the bolts holding it in. It would get worse as the RPM's went up.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo8397 View Post
Ok, this is my problem. When I drive in the street doing under 55 car feels fine, once I hit the parkway and hit 60 and over I have a very bad vibration through out the car. When I take my foot off the gas the vibration stops and if I hit the gas the vibration starts again. What the hell is this?
If you have a stock fan clutch, don't rule that out as a cause.
I had this problem on my 69 Camaro BB for years. I won't bore you with all the troubleshooting.
Run the car in neutral, in the driveway, and slowly bring the RPM's to 3-4000. If you get the vibration, remove the belt and repeat.
I never suspected the fan clutch as it was a brand new AC replacement clutch.
And by trying this, even if it is not a fan clutch and the vib persists, you have atleast eliminated the drive line.

Mike
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

Can you duplicate the vibration in your driveway by bringing the RPM's up in neutral?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Can you feel it more in the steering whell or in the bottom of the back of the seat?

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

I don't feel nothing in the steering wheel, more floor and seat. I will try to see if I feel the vibration in my driveway. I bet it's my engine not being balanced. Me and my friend built this engine and bought parts from summit and the crankshaft he had gotten from ebay. I never got it balanced but only polished. I can't see anything else being wrong. I'm going to drag it this weekend, for the first time. I hope it will not hurt my engine.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
more floor and seat
If its drive train I would be looking at drive shaft or rear wheels..paint between the hub and axle, if using sloted mags, center with tapered nuts 1st (covered in old posts)
Swap the rear wheels over, if drums on the rear , still got the balance weights on them.

Engine not balanced!!!! not even pistons and rod weighed?
Any engine I have is fully dynamically balanced , even a daily...less wear, smoother ride, revs out quick.....
and you are going to drag it????
Very likely the vibration will be gone before the end of the weekend m8...and the sump. crank, rods
Or if not the engine, some part could be very defective..say a bent axle....throw you into a tumble or something.
When you starting hitting tracks throwing engines together with out basic balancing and prscision gets down right dangerous.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

I here ya, Thanks for the info, I think I'll pass on the track. I haven't taken it yet and I guess It can wait until I fix all the bugs in the car. I rather be safe then sorry, I don't care if I blow the engine, I can fix that, But If something happend to me, that's not always fixable with having 2 little girls. I going to test the car out in my driveway and see if I have the vibration even standing still. Talk soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode