Run On - out of ideas! Pls help! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

Run On - out of ideas! Pls help!

67 Firebird w/chevy SB. MSD box w/MSD dizzy, converted internal VR alternator.

I have run on...engine will not turn off when key is switched to off on the switch. I have added a diode to the alternator, installed a ballastic resistor to the switched power circuit and replaced the ignition switch.

The car stays "on" and I must disconnect the battery or it will go dead over night.

Problem just started....out of ideas....please help.

-Rob
67 Firebird ragtop
Chevy 350 Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 07:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Re: Run On - out of ideas! Pls help!

Do you have a electric fan ? Some of those act as alternators and backfeed power. If you have one, disconnect it and see if it stops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would think you could start the engine, turn off the ign as usual, then unplug the two-wire connector on the alternator to see if it dies. If it does, you might turn the diode around.

Another troubleshooting aid would be to jumper in a test light between the battery cable and post leaving the cable connected to the post, then when the ign is turned off, separate the cable from its post and view the test light shining brightly, then start to unplug the alt and other connections you think might affect this problem. The item pulled would be the trouble area.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

no electric fan

I recently installed a camaro tach in gauge cluster a month before run on problem. Could that be an issue?

Will try the diode test tonight after work

thx

-Rob
67 Firebird ragtop
Chevy 350 Engine
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rob

I tried the diode test and still have run on. I have replaced the ballast resistor, diode, strater (key) switch. Car electrical system drains quickly when the engine is not running. Still have a run on. Any more ideas?

-Rob
67 Firebird ragtop
Chevy 350 Engine
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynawolf View Post
Car electrical system drains quickly when the engine is not running. Still have a run on. Any more ideas?
Install a test light between a battery cable and post and start to disconnect wires and fuses until the light goes out. Last wire pulled is the offending circuit.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode