Help, Engine stops running when hot.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jess

Help, Engine stops running when hot....

I have a 67 with a 427 and 4 spd. I have the points style distributor with a electronic Mallory points replacement kit. The coil is Accel canister stock style. I have it timed at 32 degrees. It runs and idles great till it gets hot, then dies just like it runs out of gas. It has plenty of gas in it. The coil is about ten years old so I replaced it with a new one. Checked the timing, still the same. Started and ran fine, when it got hot, it shut off. Checked the carb. Everything was the same as when I set it up. Maybe the fuel pump, works great. Checked all wiring, all connections solid. Checked the tank for good vent. It has vent. So I cross off fuel. Timing is good, carb is good, coil is new... Dist? Has anyone ever had this problem. Anyone ever used the mallory points replacement kit. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you... Did I mention I had to be towed twice... Sucks... What am I missing?

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Help, Engine stops running when hot....

Check the temp of the coil(s) with a temp gun - any temp over 140F is too hot for the coil.

I presume when the point set was installed, it ran good. Now the point eliminator is installed and coil runs hotter due to a longer dwell - longer current time - for the ignition per cylinder thus the reason for the coil overheating.

For troubleshooting, I would install the point set back and observe the running time - no shutoff, coil is cooler to the touch.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jess

Thanks, Everett!. That makes sense. I was hoping to eliminate running points all to gether because they seem to be problematic. The coil was very hot, way to hot to touch. Also another buddy of mine asked if I was running the resistor on the firewall, and yes I am. He said that it could be the problem. Could I remove it and maybe solve the problem? Or should I just reinstall the points and be done with it... Wanting to drive before winter!!! 10 year resto, I have the itch...

Jess67

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 10, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If using the OE cloth covered wire, you might try using a regular length of wire for the power source, as in running the length from the IGN spade on the fusebox to the point eliminator. A lower than battery voltage to the module would make for a longer dwell time.

Also, you might want to try a Mallory coil matched for the Mallory module.
Lastly, nothing wrong with a point set - simple - would get the car moving for your driving enjoyment.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 10, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jess

I had thought about the Mallory coil already. I have a painless wiring kit in the car. I used this setup with another electronic distributor and everything worked fine before the resto. The only things changed were the wiring kit and dist. I do have a extra dual point dist, but it needs rebuilt. Going to dig it out tonight and get started... Wouldnt the firewall resistor lower the battery voltage to the coil and then the distributor... If so, do I need to take it out... I already changed the wire per the Painless wiring kit, from the ignition to the fuse box to the coil.

Jess67

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 10, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, I would remove the resistor.
Mallory instructions suggests_______?

'
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 10, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jess

I bought the Mallory coil which is specific for my application. I have it put in place and hooked up. I am curious to see if it works. Everett all your help and suggestions are and were greatly appreciated. I am keeping the resistor and using a 0 ohm coil. I hope this works. The evenings in KY right now are perfect for cruising..

Jess67

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 10, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like everyone is on the right track. A lesson I learned as a young hot rodder was that cruddy old brittle ignition wire had a purpose (ignition ballast wire). I replaced it with a nice clean copper wire (thinking I was doing a good thing) and wound up with the symptoms you described. In my case it became obvious the coil was getting cooked. The case bulged out on it and eventually cracked the insulator on top.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jess

For those who were curious, it was the distributor. The E-Spark kit from Mallory has a problem. Replaced with a friends single point distributor, and all those gremlins went away...

Jess67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode