Steering wheel wont turn right - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Steering wheel wont turn right

Ok i had this problem for awhile now just now want to see why I have a 79 camaro wont turn left all the way like it should.I was thinking mabe the tie rod ends or maybe the gear box.Any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 09:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Steering wheel wont turn right

Give the guys a bit of background
What have you been doing with the steering/suspension..
otherwise someone will suggest that you move away from the curb the front wheel is up against lol

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Really have not done anything to it.been driving like that have to have really wide left turns lol.but since my wife will be driving it now needs to be fix any ideas

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Assuming chassis is straight, steering arms etc are all in good condition and striaght
Pull the steering wheel cover, line up the dots in the end of the shaft...check steering wheel is stright
disconnect the rag joint...line up the steering box, and check the pitman arm was put on in the right position

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

steering wheel cover? line dots?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

As mentioned above, take a good look at your steering and suspension components to make sure that they aren't bent, damaged, etc. Are both of your tie rods about the same length? Or is one longer than the other?

If they look O.K. it is possible that the steering gear is not centered and that is why you have more travel one direction than the other.

Do your turn signals cancel from right and left turns at about the same amounts of steering wheel rotation?

The following paper takes you through the steering system centering procedure for your F-car.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev28jl2009.pdf

Jim
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ok thanks i will try this out.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The question about indicators working and returning right is very important
Quote:
steering wheel cover? line dots?
on the top end of the steering wheel shaft is a stamped dot this is set in the up possition and the steering wheel should be straight
If not the steering wheel not be on the splines correctly (the splines do have 'blank spot to line up)..If incorrect the indiactors will not turn on /off corectly.
The pitman arm...the big arm to the steering componets should be facing dead straight ahead...and so will the wheels
If not the pitman arm may not be installed and lined up on the splines correctly...again there is a blank section in the splines

If both are correct but not corect at the same time, then the rag joint may have the incorect bolts and not be lined up correctly

Once, and only then, all the above is correct THEN the toe in can be set with the steering wheel LOCKED in the central position...unlike most modern cars the steering wheel CAN NOT be centered after the wheel alignment.

If all that checks out, you have something weird happening....like bent /damged parts, or different length steering mounts on each wheel (where the end of the tie rod ball bolts to)
You can have different length idler arm and pitman arm..thats ok....but must also point directlt forward.

Check all that exactly as said , then tell us what u have.

These are the 2 critical things...I

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 10, 09:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

If the pitman arm is off you will get some really weird turning circles. Really wide one way and really short the other. If the idler is the wrong length it will affect it too. Not sure if the pitman and idler are the same length or not. Seems like they should be.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 10, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
If the idler is the wrong length it will affect it too.
Nope, incorrect.
I know this because I had to replace my pitman a while back and could not locate one the same diam hole and length in NZ
I posted here aboiut it, and our Suspension Guru ( John) stepped in...took his advice, if there was/is difference its so damn small one cant tell it exists.

I know the front steering system back to front because of hands on experiance right down to replacing the nylon pin in the steering cloumn shaft and the order to tighten the steering column clamps and floor brakets... and the rage joint bolts are matched to the holes.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 10, 08:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

I had a similar problem with a '77 nova many years ago. Itf it is power steering, your steering box may have gone bad...

When it happened to me, I could not turn left....thankfully I lived in a city (with city blocks--three rights make a left LOL)!!!

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 10, 12:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Bump. Updates????

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 10, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech

stearing gear box, loosen the worm gear/nut a little. if it frees up the wheel, time to replace the stearing gear box. power or manual. same test.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 11, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

This Thread may be of Help: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167017

Pay attention to this factor:
Quote:
The Intermediate Shaft positions Vertically with the Head of the Rag Coupler Collar Pin Bolt facing Upwards when the Steering Wheel and Worm Gear are centered

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode