tach issue.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

tach issue....

Got a tach off a guy today and disconnected the old one....hooked up the new one to the 69 with 383 with HEI....and it wont register..it just goes all the way around and stops around 10000rpm...I checked the wiring to make sure all is good

the red wire is hooked up to the side of the carb?...is that good?....the other tach's red cable was working this way...(the new one is a monster sport comp not sure if it matters with this or not)?...the black wire is connected to the starter...and the green/grey is connected to the Distributor (HEI)......do I need a filter with this set up?..

Or do I just have a broken tach?...Im skeptical about it now....Is there any way to fix the internals of the tach myself?..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 10, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: tach issue....

gonna take it to the shop in the a.m. ...I took the backing off, but I have no Idea what to look for...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 03:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Best guess is it sounds like you have 12 volts/power going somewhere it's not suppose to.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
the red wire is hooked up to the side of the carb?...the black wire is connected to the starter...and the green/grey is connected to the Distributor (HEI)......do I need a filter with this set up?..
DSiff makes can have diff colour coding...but that sounds a bit weird...
Generally there are 2 cicuits
1/ the dash light...connects to the instrument lights circuit in the car 1 one red red or coloured wires and the other grounded
2/ The tach...which all it does is measure pulse...the red or coloured to the 'tach' on the HEI (a GM hei its the tag farthest from the cap, marked 'tach') and the black to ground.

Ground the black wires..take one of the red/colured wires while the engine is running and connect to the tach terminat on the HEI....the one that makes the tach work is the right one...then connect the other to the instrument panel lights

If u have had the back off you should be able to figure out which wires go to the tach and which goes to the instrument bulb.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 10, 08:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

4 wires (color-coding can differ, so I won't mention colors specifically)

1. to a power source
2. for the light hookup (connected to the other uinstrument lights)
3. One lead to go to the tach spade ont he HEI
4. a ground wire.

I never heard of a tach wire connected ot the carb before...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode