Engine start up problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Engine start up problem

I have been reluctant to post the issue I am having, however it continues to be a problem
When I start the engine on my 68, I cannot get it to idle until the engine gets up to 140 degrees or so, then it is fine. To keep it running I have to keep pumping and squirting gas in with the accelerator pump. It acts like the only fuel it is getting is from the accelerator pump. Does not matter if it is hot or cold outside. Fuel pressure is fine @ 6#, float levels are correct. I had an electric choke installed and carburetor flowed. Once engine is hot, no problem. You can pump the gas and hit 2000RPM, if you just hold it there the RPM will drop and the engine dies. I have had engines that were trouble when cold but nothing ever like this. When the engine starts you would think it was flooded, it sounds like it is hitting on abour 5 cylinders and cleans out as it warms up.
383 engine, World 220 heads, Performer RPM intake, 4150 dual pumper, roller cam, fuel delivery system new from tank to carb. HEI ignition
Thanks

Gene68ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Engine start up problem

Sounds like the choke butterfly is incorrectly adjusted. Pull the air cleaner, have a friend start it, observe the butterfly. With your hand open the butterfly more or less as the car is running to see if it smooths out. You will be able to see what it needs. It probably won't take much movement to see a change.If the butterfly is activated by a diaphragm test that. Adjustment may require you to bend an activating rod.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Check the above post...
If thats ok, check the cent timing is swinging out as far as it should be
That ok,
Pull the new choke off, (to elimate that change) have the engine warmed up...check floats valves for crap, re check float levels, only just slop out of side holes when engine running and shake the fenders... check the sec butterflys are adjusted correct..so the mixture screws and primary idle screw are in spec....check the 15 to 18/1000 gap between lever and accel pump at WOT.
Check foe vac leaks around valley cover and carb.
Check/clean PVC.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

With a Holley carb and having an electric choke, as said, loosen the three screws clamping the black cap so when the engine does start cold, after giving it one full stroke to the floor to allow the choke plate to close, if not rotate cap to close, and fast idle weight/cam should come into play and fast idle would be 1400-1600 rpm.

Once engine starts, rotate cap to RICH side or LEAN side, to smooth the engine out. It should run by itself. It may take another cold morning to adjust.

On the cap there is a mark to match against a scale on the body, usually, no more than two marks either way is good, but engine will tell you what it needs to run smooth.

You must make sure as you rotate cap, plate rotates with it. if not, remove cap and make sure pin is inserted into cap bi-metal spring to pull it on-off.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

Last edited by Everett#2390; Nov 5th, 10 at 05:57 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

I believe in a holky there is a knotch on the black choke cover. I think when it points strait up that is hollys factory setting. That will get u pretty close to where u need to be
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 10, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Thanks to all, I don't have it fine tuned yet but you guys got me headed in the right direction. I can now start it and keep it running without messing with it for several minutes whie it gets up to temperature. I will tweak the choke a couple of more cool mornings and should be able to get it right.
Thanks again,

DSC01046.jp

gene68ss
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 10, 12:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

What about the flat spot at 2K?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 10, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
What about the flat spot at 2K?
I may have not been clear in describing my problem. Before we started getting the choke right, I could start and take the engine up to 2000 RPM but it would still die even from that RPM. I start it every morning, this morning was the best, I need to slow the high speed idle some, it is @ about 2000 RPM and I am thinking 1500 would be better. I move it out of the garage each day as I am doing some "Honey-do" woodwork and making a lot of dust. It is much better being able to start it up and pull back in the garage as opposed to messing with it for several minutes, keeping it running.
Thanks again,
gene68ss
You have a good-looking 69, I watched some of the clips.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 10, 10:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Got it Gene. And Thank You.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 10, 07:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Crap I thought that was normal for a high performance motor. Mirrors mine since 1988 with numerous carbs and no choke.

68 302 M20 3:73 - 85 IROC Z - 82 Honda CB900C
The older I get the faster I was.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Cool Re: Engine start up problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
Crap I thought that was normal for a high performance motor. Mirrors mine since 1988 with numerous carbs and no choke.

Mine did not have a choke either when I bought it, but it is better for me with a choke that is not quite right than no choke at all. It would wear me out before I could get out of the garage. The neighbors look at me like I am a 66 year old nut, and they are mostly right, but hey, I'm retired and I'm having fun.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 10, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I've never had much luck with electric chokes. It seems that after the engine is warmed up and then you shut it off, the choke element cools off and then on a restart it goes back to fast idle, even though the engine doesn't need it. That always drove me nuts. I much prefer the no choke method of feathering the throttle for a minute until it'll idle on its own.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 10, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Hi, I use Holley AED 750 Mechanical Double Pump and there is no choke and is milled off the carb, starts up fine and do not have to wait.

Jeff G.
69 Verts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode