Oil on top of intake - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 10, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Oil on top of intake

I just noticed a tablespoon-sized deposit of oil on top of my intake manifold, on the driver's side, right underneath the carb. I can't find any other oily spots.

Any ideas where this might have come from and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 10, 08:42 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Oil on top of intake

Pretty common. The bolts in the center of the intake manifold are exposed to the oil splashing around in the lifter valley, and it wicks its way up the threads. Clean up the mess, pull the bolts one at a time, clean the threads well and use thread sealant on them, reinstall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 10, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Thanks, Al. I'll try that out and report back.

I just ran it pretty hard around the block a couple of times, and it produced quite a bit more oil afterwards -- on both sides of the intake this time. After letting it sit for a few minutes, the oil actually seeped back in (to somewhere).

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 10, 11:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

gasket on the distributor might do it aswell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 10, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech

on most BB and i would suppose SB, you can loose part of the head gasket seal around that area of the head and the oil will then come up around the bolt or from that cavity on the head. you don't have to loose compression and don't have to have anit freez/oil mix. the motor can run find and still have to replace the head gaskets to stop the oil. 454, did twice, 305 ho was like that when i got rid of it. both run fine etc. it will get worse. (take the time to put thin gaskets and up your compression a little, good for a dozen more horses)
just a good guess. Mike
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 10, 09:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Thread sealer on head bolts water pump bolts, fuel pump, and valley cover bolts...std proceedure.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 10, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Crapola. This is all completely new to me. I don't know what I thought was involved, but, having run a few searches, found this is not going to be a quick fix.

I'm willing to give it a go (b/c I can't afford to pay someone to do it at the moment), but can I run some of that Steel Seal crap through it for a temporary fix, or am I asking for trouble there? Don't want to half-*** this, but it'll be at least 3 weeks before I can take on this project. I just had a 700r4 installed and I'm terrified of just jacking with the TV cable. So, breaking down the entire engine is going to be a looooong process for me.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 10, 11:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Who said anything about tearing the engine apart? Your problem is very common with the center 4 intake bolts on a small block. My old 307 did it. Remove a bolt, wire wheel the threads, apply some thread sealer, and reinstall the bolt. Then go on to the next one. It shouldn't take more than about a half an hour. I use Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket, but any decent thread sealant will do.

If that doesn't solve your problem I'd be surprised. If it doesn't, then you can start pulling your hair out.

Edit - looks like it's all bolts but the 4 corners that this can happen to.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ght=oil+intake

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ght=oil+intake

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 10, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

OOOhhhhh! Well, that's certainly a lot less intimidating.

I guess I read the comments about head bolts and immediately thought that they had to be addressed, too. Lord all mighty I'm glad I posted again.

OK, Al: promise I'm going to let this rest till I get a chance to do the intake bolts. I'll let you know how it turns out. THANKS!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 10, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I guess I read the comments about head bolts and immediately thought that they had to be addressed, too
Quote:
Thread sealer on head bolts water pump bolts, fuel pump, and valley cover bolts...std proceedure.
Dont take thing out of context.

Quote:
Remove a bolt, wire wheel the threads, apply some thread sealer, and reinstall the bolt. Then go on to the next on
NO
Back off each of the bolts 1/2 turn at a time, starting with the center and going diagonally from each side till most of the torque pressure comes off the calley cover.
Or put another way, the reverse or of the torquind down order
Then pull each bolt clean up drop on locktite thread searer, replace each bolt and TOQUE back down in the correct order with a torgue wrench.

As mentioned 20 mins to 1/2 hr job.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 10, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post

NO
YES Don't be silly. If you were adding a bracket that attaches with one intake bolt would you loosen all of them? Of course you wouldn't.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 10, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

"NO"

"YES"

Aw, man... Anyone want to cast the deciding vote?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 10, 02:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Mine did this for the past 3 years. This summer I pulled the center four bolts one at a time, cleaned each and put some RTV around each. No leaks since then.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 10, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

That sounds like a tie-breaker to me!

Steps, Al, Tom, I really do appreciate the advice. I'll report back this weekend.

Zac
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 10, 06:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I would remove one bolt, clean it, put on thread sealer and then install it to the proper torque. Then move to the next bolt. There's less chance of distorting the manifold this way. JMO

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode