Weird Ignition and RS headlight door problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 10, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Weird Ignition and RS headlight door problem

I have a very odd problem with the ignition on my 67 rs/ss 396. when i bought the car the headlight doors were not working. The car ran fine otherwise. I started troubleshooting the headlight doors and noticed that someone had placed an inline fuse in the orange wire from the 10 amp circuit breaker on the relay panel for the headlight doors and shortwired the circuit breaker presumably because the circuit breaker was bad. The inline fuse was blown and i replaced it, pulled the headlight switch and -the doors opened. Great. then i turned on the ignition to get the doors to close and heard what sounded like an electrical arcing noise for a few seconds and the fuse blew. I assumed there was a short in the headlight door wiring and started looking. long story short, after many fuses i found that the ignition is arcing across the contacts in the distributor cap. if i unplug the coil wire and repeat then it arcs from the coil to ground, this is WITHOUT cranking the engine. this only happens if the fuse is present in the headlight door circuit, otherwise everything functions and drives normally. The car has an MSD ignition. Anyone with any idea what in the world would cause this would be much appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 10, 11:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: Weird Ignition and RS headlight door problem

Sounds like you are getting a back feed from somewhere in the headlight door circuit. Pictures of the wiring might help. The headlight doors really need to be run through a relay - they draw too many amps to be run directly with an inline fuse which is the weakest protection from an electrical fire. I would strongly recommend you find out where the short is with a tester and not keep blowing fuses.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 10, 07:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I would get a 67 wiring diagrahm for the RS headlights and start tracing wires. Make sure no wires are hooked up incorrectly. Probably needs a new control board. You said they PO had it jumpered across the controller.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 10, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I would get a 67 wiring diagrahm for the RS headlights and start tracing wires. Make sure no wires are hooked up incorrectly. Probably needs a new control board. You said they PO had it jumpered across the controller.

By controller do you mean that 10 amp circuit breaker on the relay panel that they jumped? or is there another control board that i'm not aware of... sorry i'm new to camaros and still figuring out where everything is.

What's the best way to find a short without blowing fuses??

Any ideas how or why this would feed back through the ignition coil??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 10, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
What's the best way to find a short without blowing fuses??
Insert a test lamp in place of the fuse. It'll light up bright when the short is present. Start moving wires around, disconnecting connectors etc. until the light dims or goes out.

A light bulb acts like a current regulator and gives the added benefit of a visual indication of current flow.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 10, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

thanks Dave, that's a good tip, will definitely use that one.

After some more poking around I disconnected the distributor from the MSD control unit and the headlight doors now open and close perfectly without any overcurrent or other issues.

So when the ignition control box is disconnected the headlight doors work fine and when the headlight door circuit fuse is disconnected the ignition seems to operate properly. So which system is my problem and how are the two even interrelated??? I did check to make sure the MSD control unit wasn't wired to the head light circuit or something stupid like that. The red wire on the MSD box runs to the starter battery cable and the ground runs to the frame.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode