91 rs 3.1 no start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

91 rs 3.1 no start

Ok guys. Never thought I would post a running issue on here, but i am at my wits end, and not sure where to take from here. I have no codes, car is hesitant to start, but will run for about 3 seconds if I flood start it. After that it is as if someone pulls the coil wire off, and the car just dies.

Here is what I know.

Had no power when my dad was driving home, and would want to die on anything over partial throttle.

Upon testing got weak signal from TPS... ranged .9- 4.1 volts...not horrible, but changed anyway.

changed MAP....had good vaccum to sensor 16 inches i think.

changed the usual.... plugs wires cap rotor....

verified coil with the one off my 67. no change

replaced pickup in dist....also tested module with extra from another car.

verified compression.... averaged 176 per cyl

replaced ECM.

Fuel pressure was constant at 40-45 dependant on load.

also replaced Pressure regulator.

So I am about out of ideas....car has 345k miles...35k on new motor.... Only things left to check would be injectors (replaced when motor was installed...) and wiring harness, but am no longer at a shop to access test specs. I have also ohmed out TPS and MAP wiring to ecm. verified no open or shorts. Anyone know of a common harness failure that could cause this. I am frustrated at this point, and any advise would be appreciated. If you need more info feel free to ask.

Thank you in advance,

Chuck

67 rs/ss
381 sbc 11:1 AFR Heads Holley 950 EFI
DSE Quadralink

"From what I have replaced in pursuit of more, I could have built another one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 91 rs 3.1 no start

Injector harness has one wire with battery power from a relay from a fuse(?) with IGN on, black wire? The other inj wire goes back to the ECM and it places a low on this colored wire to open inj to dispense fuel.

Your TPS voltage is good, no holes from idle to WOT.
Seems like you've checked everything else. No dist module = no spark and no injectors.
Might check EGR valve making sure it is seated and the TBI gasket to manifold for sealing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

great ideas everett. I verified with a genisis tool egr opening and shutting. seal is in tact, and does not have a tbi. I am getting fuel on plugs, so that rules out injectors if thats the case. That only leaves 2 things... injectors stuck open and flooding, cuz i just pulled a plug and its soaked. or I have a loss in spark, which i dont understand. I have fire.... replaced or tested with known good part on everything. Maybe I will just punch myself in the face repeatedly till this thing starts!!! LOL! (It may have a chance of working!!!!) P.S I have had 2 issues with this car constistantly.... EGR code since 20k miles on car and CTS replaced like 6 times. 1 prom and 2 computers later....no fix. Havent had the code since new motor, but well you never know. Wiring to both has also been checked and verified. Looks like I may throw some more money at it and just buy a distributor...(crossing fingers..)

chuck

67 rs/ss
381 sbc 11:1 AFR Heads Holley 950 EFI
DSE Quadralink

"From what I have replaced in pursuit of more, I could have built another one."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Have you used timing light to see spark arrive at the right time?
Disable ign by unplugging brown/white wire at firewall, could be inside kick panel, takes out ECM control of advance.

If plugs are dripping wet with fuel, they will never fire/ignite/spark. Dry them off.
Plugs wet, means coolant sensor is sending cold to ECM and ECM is choking the engine with fuel as in choke plate closed. Usually, holding pedal to the floor cleans up a flooded condition.

Does ign switch have IGN voltage in RUN/IGN position?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 11, 06:19 AM
Tech Team
Shannon

Some of those engines also have a Cold Start Injector in addition to the six Cylinder injectors and are prone to sticking because of the jet size and duration of opening.

76'fire bird Trans Am Under total resto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode