I think I blew a power valve. Can I limp home? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Exclamation I think I blew a power valve. Can I limp home?

Nice day today (62) so took the car to work. Got to work no problems. About an hour later I had to run to an off-site meeting and the car backfired first time ever (really LOUD) when I was starting it. Been having some issues with cold starts lately but this was the first GaBOOOOM ever. Car did start and I went to the meeting. Car started fine after the meeting but as I was pulling out from the parking lot, I got on it pretty good. The car died shortly before the 4-way stop as I was coming to a stop and I got a very strong whiff of gas. After a few cranks the car started back up and I went to lunch. Car started ok after lunch but it died again after I accelerated (respectfully) in order to make a green/yellow light. It died shortly after I let off the throttle. Pulled over and it started up after few cranks. Seems like the car will run as long as there is no hard acceleration.

My initial prognoses is that the backfire may have blown the power valve in my Holley 850, hence I am running way rich especially after acceleration where there is enough gas getting through to choke up the motor. I know that these carbs have a pressure relief valve just to accommodate a backfire situation but this backfire sounded like a cannon going off. Assuming I am right, do you guys think I can limp home? Drive slow, no hard accelerations what so ever, 15 mile drive, side streets...????

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zlek131; Jan 28th, 11 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Re: I think I blew a power valve. Can I limp home?

Usually a strong backfire thru the carb will fracture the PV. You can drive it home. Also, you can fatten up the carb by 4 or 5 jets bigger than what you have now and do away with the PV.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Ya know, I keep hearing about blown power valves, and suggestions that the power valve may be blown. But you go to the Holley website and it clearly says you can't blow a Holley power valve since 1992??? So, I'm just curious, is Holley full of it or are we?

Greg

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Left work early to avoid traffic and made it. Almost stalled once and I smell like gas. Cooling the motor now, will be pulling the carb apart shortly. Yes, I have seen that claim on Holley's website that power valves never blow....

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 03:45 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Be sure to change your oil too as you may have got fuel washed into the crank case past the rings.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via MSN to Orange68SS Send a message via Yahoo to Orange68SS

You can buy a kit that is easy to install the prevents the power valve from blowing out. You just drill out your metering block and install a small ball bearing, that's it.

68 SS Camaro - 468 BB, Tremec 5 Speed, Wilwood Brakes, Curry 9 inch (370 gear)

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Well got it all back together...I changed the plugs too but they were actually pretty decent. Took the car for a spin and it seemed to run fine. It did not die after a couple pulls. BTW, asked the guy at the speed shop if he gets a lot of guys with blown power valves. He said ALL THE TIME! Yes, wouldn't be a bad idea to change the oil....I am due for a change anyway.... I will run her again tomorrow to make sure it's still all good.

Matt

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
george

So you bench tested the suspect blown power valve you replaced?
What was your findings?Ruptured diaphragm?

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor's Nemesis View Post
Usually a strong backfire thru the carb will fracture the PV. You can drive it home. Also, you can fatten up the carb by 4 or 5 jets bigger than what you have now and do away with the PV.
I wouldn't do that on a street car. Running fat all the time is hard on cylinders.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor's Nemesis View Post
Also, you can fatten up the carb by 4 or 5 jets bigger than what you have now and do away with the PV.
If you are suggesting a secondary block off and an upjet by 8 numbers..I am ok with that.
If this is a street deal...he needs to retain the primary power valve for any semblance of driveability and mpg.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

If it happens again, change the coil.... That may be the corporate to the backfire.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I say if it happens again, go EFI. You'll be glad you did if you ever try to take that thing up to Mt. Elbert or something. You'll just have to stop car shopping on craigslist for a month or two.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
BTW, asked the guy at the speed shop if he gets a lot of guys with blown power valves. He said ALL THE TIME! Yes,
And has he checked the "blown" PV...does he actually know how to?
Or is it ppl coming in with the old wives tales about back fire/blown PV...getting a new one any way, and simply by pulling the carb down, have dislologed the crap unknowingly and A55 -U -me d it was the PV.....?

Did you pull the air filter off, hold the rpms up, put your hand over the top, pull a huge vaccuum, pull your hand off just before it stalls, and repeat 3 or 4 times.

THE 1st side of the road old school trick to fixing a carb that has crap in it or flooding/ not working right....and 9 time out of 10 (more than that) it works, and keeps on working for the next few yrs .

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Well.... The saga takes a turn, perhaps it wasn't the power valve after all. There was no noticeable damage visible on the power valve. I don't a have vacuum kit required to really test it properly. One other fact I have not mentioned up to this point. After the huge backfire I noticed that my idle rpms went up 200, just that 200. I used to idle in gear at around 800. All the sudden I am at 1000. Even after installing the new power valve, the rpms did NOT drop. OK, not sure why but let's back off on the main idle screw and see what happens. I turned it a good turn and half and rpms did NOT drop, nothing. Started looking much closer as to why the rpms would not back off with a good turn on the idle screw. Come to find out I noticed that my choke lever (my "choke" is not hooked up, and I don't have the choke butterfly on) was stuck in the middle position.

Below is what I believe is the zero choke lever position:

Below is what I believe is the full choke lever position:

Below is where I found my choke lever (red line). When in this position and looking at the other side of the carb, there is a "gap" between the main idle screw and the throttle lever hence the throttle does not retract all the way, hence the extra 200 rpms. Sure enough, pull the choke lever to the OFF position and the rpms drop as the throttle lever drops and rests on the main idle screw.

My carb understanding is very basic. I always through the choke was nothing but a rotating flap over the carb, when "on" resulting in less air to the carb hence car runs richer. Obviously there are other things in the formula as things do shift on the other side of the carb when in the choke mode, hence my idle going up. ....choke circuit...???

Could the pressure and rattle of the major backfire cause the choke lever to shift? Bigger question, if that's what it was, why would the car stall on me during the day and not when I took it for a test drive tonight before realizing that choke has shifted? Only thing I can think of is air temp. Today was a nice day, actually I think we hit 70. My car ran at 175 today verses 130 tonight. Could the hotter engine expose the choke-on/rich issue while the cold engine hide it?

Matt

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 09:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
larry

I hate to tell you this. But you don't have a choke. The blade has been removed. i think you just had a stuck needle and seat. happens all the time on a holley. especially when they set up for a while. Keep a screw driver handy to tapp the bowles with
Larry

Larry AA/SA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode