No Oil Pressure - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

No Oil Pressure

Long story short, on small block350 in 55 chevy, I am running electric fuel pump triggered by an oil pressure cut-off switch. I have a Tee in the line, to use the pressure switch and also connect an oil line to a mechanical pressure gauge ... After working to calibrate a new carb, I took a short, enthusiastic drive trying to assess the carb and tuning ... Come back home, adjust the idle, then shut car off. Fortunately, I had pulled car into garage because the car will not start now ... When cranking, my oil pressure light stays lit and the mechanical gauge does not move at all ... Thus, I conclude no oil pressure ... I assume either oil pick-up has fallen off of oil pump, total oil pump failure, or, for some reason, the distributor is not driving the oil pump ... The distributor was out 2 weeks ago, but re-installed and fully seated and the car had been driven since then ... Is there anything that I can do/check before dropping oil pan? Engine is SB 350, 96 era block, not machined for mechanical fuel pump ... that's why electric pump ...

Last edited by sdtsdt; Feb 3rd, 11 at 09:42 AM. Reason: correct typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: No Oil Pressure

spin up the oil pump..either by turning engine over or removing dizzy and spinning up on a drill and see if oil pumping out of there.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 12:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Is it a Fram oil filter? Change the oil filter and try again. I just read someone had this problem and it was the oil filter.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 01:58 PM
Edm
Gold Lifetime Member
Ed

Garage

Is it possible the distributor came loose and popped out of place? Are any spacers installed? Broken distributor gear?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 03:26 PM
Banned
Bethanne

I would do what Steps recommended. Plus you might find the dist gear is spinning on the shaft and not turning the oil pump.
But change the oil filter first - that's so easy maybe you'll get lucky.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
But change the oil filter first - that's so easy maybe you'll get lucky.
just turn it over without an oil filter in..If oil goes everywhere its not the dizzy or pump drive....if it doesnt u know its not the filter, dizzy out yep check dizzy drive..I assume ppl would have enough sence do that anyway.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Another thing, when you're spinning-up the oil pump be sure to use an adapter built for that purpose. You can't have pressure unless you use either an adapter or an old distributor that only has the shaft remaining in the housing.
Everyone here is assuming there's no external oil visible, of course.
This problem is bizarre. These engines have the worlds best oiling system. Standing by,,,
Oh, if you're using a Fram,,,,,don't.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edm View Post
Is it possible the distributor came loose and popped out of place?
Good underhood check before rolling around on the ground^.

Fwiw..your issues do point to a loose or missing oil pump pickup.After your test drive...the oil would be aerated and not able to close your fuel pump pressure sensor and read on your mechanical gauge.Its easier to compress the air in the system vs activate these devices.I would not be suprised if the car fires up after 24hrs with fuel and oil pressure.The top end lube returned to the base covering up the pump inlet and time allowed the air to disperse...until next time.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 05:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

That low oil pressure ignition cutout might be the problem too. Can you easily bypass it if it doesn't work like George suggests?

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 05:34 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
Fwiw..your issues do point to a loose or missing oil pump pickup.After your test drive...the oil would be aerated and not able to close your fuel pump pressure sensor and read on your mechanical gauge.Its easier to compress the air in the system vs activate these devices.I would not be suprised if the car fires up after 24hrs with fuel and oil pressure.The top end lube returned to the base covering up the pump inlet and time allowed the air to disperse...until next time.
This actually happened to me and I fried a shortblock !
Going home from college in my 66 Chevelle, I noticed the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero ! It was an electric gauge and my first thought was the gauge was bad. The engine wasn't clacking or making any unusual noise.
I had a socket set in the trunk so I pulled a valve cover and fired the engine; oil sprayed everywhere from the pushrods ! So it had to be a bad gauge, right ??
Well I started it back up and didn't get very far until the engine started losing power. I shut it off and had to tow it 80 miles home.
The oil pump pickup had fallen off !

Thankfully friends helped me rebuild it.
This was 1976, several years before I would know how to do it myself.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Is it a Fram oil filter? Change the oil filter and try again. I just read someone had this problem and it was the oil filter.
I could see this being an issue if the op blocked off his bypass in the filter adapter.
The stock bypass has about a 3 psi pressure differential to deal with restricted medians.
Yes..the oil would not be filtered..but flow would still be allowed.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 08:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Beth View Post
This actually happened to me and I fried a shortblock !
Going home from college in my 66 Chevelle, I noticed the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero ! It was an electric gauge and my first thought was the gauge was bad. The engine wasn't clacking or making any unusual noise.
I had a socket set in the trunk so I pulled a valve cover and fired the engine; oil sprayed everywhere from the pushrods ! So it had to be a bad gauge, right ??
Well I started it back up and didn't get very far until the engine started losing power. I shut it off and had to tow it 80 miles home.
The oil pump pickup had fallen off !

Thankfully friends helped me rebuild it.
This was 1976, several years before I would know how to do it myself.
Lordy Beth, it seems every tread we post together reminds me of a war story .
Here's what you just brought back from the dank cold memory bank reaches. It's about 1976. I'm headed home on our new freeway under construction. Up and over a "Bump" I go. This is no ordinary bump. There were no warning signs because the whole road was a "Bump". Crunch! Ow! Hell of a bump! Well, ever since I installed my L88 a couple of year prior, the 6 quart oil pan was suspect. It was suppose to be a Corvette 'High Performance' part. It was made of two pans, cut and welded together so as to be 'deep sump'. A major flaw was that it hung below the sub frame. That made it subject to crunching from "Bumps". Not good. I was about a 1/4 mile from the long hill leading into my hamlet. Oil pressure holding,,holding,,,, oh oh. Headed to 0. But I reached the top of the hill. Off went the key. Engine stopped. Coast baby coast! Half a mile down the hill and into a mini-mart parking lot, right into a stall. A phone call later I had a ride. I just so happened to know a few things about emergency repairs. (the oil drain plug was crunched but still there) I bummed a ride into town to the fire department. (I used to work there) They had a tar-like clay that's used for stopping fuel flow from ruptured gas tanks. It must work on oil pans, right? Back we went (Forget who 'we' was) via the motor-oil store. Crawled under the car and pressed the 'clay' over the drain plug, then added oil, took the car home and changed the pan. No damage except the drain plug. Good riddance. Saved the engine without a wrecker. Still running the same engine. Sorta.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
Good underhood check before rolling around on the ground^.

Fatblock might be ringing the bell here ... The car did eventually start like nothing was ever wrong ... Dipstick reads basically full ... I am going to tap fuel pump off of the start circuit using a relay to prevent any feedback to solenoid. Then, fuel pump will trigger off crank circuit and continue to run once oil pressure comes up ...

I did pull and re-seat the distributor also. It appeared to have been all the way seated before. Anyway, I made sure the hold down properly set on the base ... I will walk through the whole setup again this weekend ... I'll let you all know if I discover any quirks ...

sdt
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 11, 06:57 AM
John

Garage

My thought is you had pressure before you tapped in the fuel shutoff and not after. Therefor it probably is related.

My guess is you have OP but something you did is causing your gauge to not read correctly.

That's the 1st thing I would check.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 11, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Post Re: No Oil Pressure

Similar thing happened to me- The input shaft to / on the oil pump broke- also the intermediate shaft between the dizz and the pump had the cover broken (old Chevy plastic type) this was replaced by a Morsso type w/ a hardened cover too.

Mark (AKA Z28 Mark)
1973 Z28 2001 Z28
Camaros Limited~Nor Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode