quick question - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to joyride_
quick question

valve lash? How should my dad and i go about setting it on his 72 block 355? (if the motor matters)

We broke a rocker stud on my dad's camaro so we replaced the one and need to finish setting the valve lash i guess so we can fire her back up!!

I've read quite a few different ways to do it and not sure which route to go? And also, what should they be set to?

Thanks in advance...

Brian
MY RIDE

01 S10 Xtreme 2/3 drop, BUILT 4.3L v6, 5spd
DADS RIDE
69 Camaro 500+ hp 355, t400, currie ford 9inch 4.56 gears, 100 shot
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 02:28 PM
Edm
Gold Lifetime Member
Ed

Garage
Re: quick question

What kind of cam do you have and what kind of rockers?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 03:30 PM
Banned
Bethanne

I'm assuming you have a standard hydraulic lifter setup.

Bump the engine over and watch the intake and exhaust valve on the cylinder you want to adjust. When both valves aren't moving then they are closed and on the base circle of the cam. You may need to bump it over several times watching the valves and you can tell when they're closed.

The pushrod should be loose; you should be able to move it up and down.
Tighten down on the rocker arm as you rotate the pushrod. You should be able to feel resistance when the rocker arm touches the pushrod. Use a light touch; don't use a lot of force to turn the pushrod. Then when the slack is out, tighten 1/2 turn.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech
George

Brian,

I'm down the street in Lakewood. I'll send you my phone number.
Need to know all the specifics on the cam.
500 horse 350? I'd like to see that.....even mostly free before 4pm to come over.
If that radical, you should have a cam card and a lot of really fancy stuff...500 horse would be a pretty big solid lifter cam, got a cam card?

Pics would be helpful

George Kettler
US ARMY Retired
o 70 Elky SOLD 9/2016
o 68 Vette 427, 4 spd ac owner 25 years
o 68 Camaro Rallye Green Vert 327/2004R/3.73
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Uhhhhh....sorry guys I do not know the cam specs. I know it's a full roller and it has about .580 lift i think. I don't know the rockers either but I'm pretty sure they're just 1.5ers. I will see If I can drag up any receipts/engine paperwork tomorrow. Sorry I took so long to reply we stopped working on it and I forgot until now. lol.

As of right now, all the rockers are loose, because we were planning on installing a stud girdle as well. My dad said he knows what he's doing but our machinist said otherwise about what the valve lash should be set at and what not, so I just wanted to double check in here first. Thanks again! I'll get back to you guys tomorrow.

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

He cloned a car craft 520 hp 350 motor build from back in 2002 or so. We haven't had it dyno'ed yet to confirm our expectations...but soon though! lol

To be honest, he cloned their build and upp'ed the C/R, put bigger heads on it, slightly bigger carb...I guess you could say he 1 upped the car craft build. LOL. Hopefully it still falls into the right combo and makes all that power. It is fun to drive though!

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 09:49 PM
Senior Tech
George

OK, should be fun....
Give me that call tomorrow
early outing for my 2010 engine in the video below my signature. Little roller cam

George Kettler
US ARMY Retired
o 70 Elky SOLD 9/2016
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 10:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE TO know what the specs are on that motor....
PLEASE?

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech
George

he's looking for receipts and a cam card....we'll be talking tomorrow.....

George Kettler
US ARMY Retired
o 70 Elky SOLD 9/2016
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 11, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ine/index.html

It was based off that. Except my dad has 11:1 C/R, slightly more duration on the cam, and Iron Eagle 210cc heads rather than their 195's they used on the build.

To be honest, my dad said he didn't have a cam card, just had a shop in Tacoma I guess ground a cam to his specs...which sound roughly the same as the one used in that article's build.^^^

here's a quick video of it running. open headers.

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

those are his rockers, some big bastards. we showed the machinist one and he had us bring them all in so he could grind some off because all of the rockers but one, maybe 2 were hitting...

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 02:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Here is the proper valve lash procedure for that cam.

SOLID LIFTER CAMSHAFTS

Once again, the most important part is to remember to adjust just one valve on one cylinder at a time – starting with #1 and working your way through the firing order. To begin, check the spec card that came with your cam for the correct valve lash specifications. All COMP Cams® valve lash settings are “hot” settings, but will work for initial start-up as well.

Proper adjusment of the # 1 exhaust valve.

Rotate the crankshaft by hand until the exhaust valve begins to open on the #1 cylinder, adjust the intake valve by loosening the adjusting nut slightly until you feel lash on the rocker arm. Now you can set the lash on the intake valve. Spin the intake rocker nut down with the correct thickness feeler gauge inserted between the valve stem and the tip of the rocker arm. Tighten the adjusting nut until there’s a slight drag when moving the feeler gauge. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. After setting the lash on the #1 cylinder intake valve, put a magic marker across the top of the rocker to assure yourself it has been adjusted. Following this procedure, carefully adjust all intake valves.

To adjust the exhaust valve, rotate the crankshaft until the intake pushrod opens the valve all the way on the #1 cylinder and then begins to close (about ˝ the way back down). With the correct feeler gauge, adjust the exhaust rocker nut using the same procedure as with the intake rocker above. Repeat for each cylinder, marking each rocker arm once it has been adjusted.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 11, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Sorry I forgot to mention it's a solid roller cam...do the same rules apply to the solid lifter valve adjustment?

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode