"Name that sound" - everyone's favorite game - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

"Name that sound" - everyone's favorite game

After letting it sit for a few weeks I went to go for a ride this AM and I have an awful sound coming from driver's side of the engine. It sounds like something is knocking against the valve cover.

It definitely wasn't doing this when I pulled into the garage after my last drive. Sounds bad. As you can tell in the video below, it gets faster when I give it gas. Ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: "Name that sound" - everyone's favorite game

do you have a teenage son with access to the keys? bent pushrod? bad rocker?
leaking header gaskets sometimes sound "terminal"...

67 4spd 383 sport coupe
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops67 View Post
do you have a teenage son with access to the keys?
HA! No, not that I know of.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Pull the valve cover and have a look. Sounds like it could be a rocker hitting the VC? I remember that you sealed up the intake manif bolts. On a few of them - center pair each side if I recall correctly - if the bolt is too long it will hit a pushrod. With the cover off you should be able to see if that's the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Pull the valve cover and have a look. Sounds like it could be a rocker hitting the VC? I remember that you sealed up the intake manif bolts. On a few of them - center pair each side if I recall correctly - if the bolt is too long it will hit a pushrod. With the cover off you should be able to see if that's the case.
OK, pulled the cover and it's still making the same sound.

None of the intake bolts are loose or any different than they have been (as far as I can tell anyway). Is there any reason that they would suddenly start having clearance issues with the pushrods when there wasn't a problem before?

Whatever is knocking, it's definitely coming from the back end (closest to the firewall) of the rockers/rods/or whatever it is.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Pull pushrods and check them for straightness. Look at the valve tips and rockers where they contact each other for strange wear. I used to have one on my '69 that would make a rocker noise until the valve turned some after running a while. I think the top of the valve was worn a little funny. Also had a broken screw in stud that made noise(and skipped) but looked fine to the eye. I couldn't find the problem till I went to adjust the rocker.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 11:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

The video sounds like rocker contacting valve cover. Also pull the plug wire on that cyl while running to see if there's any change. A problem like a cracked piston will become quieter with the wire pulled.

-
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Get about a 3' length of heater hose, old garden hose, wahing machine hose or whatever and use it as a stethoscope. Put a piece of masking tape around one end of the hose and put that end to your ear. (keeps you from putting the greasy end in your ear the next time!) Listen to each rocker.

That noise could also be from the transmission flexplate hitting the torque converter's platic or metal dust cover, or could be a loose converter bolt(S) or a cracked flexplate. Maybe a broken valve spring. Lotsa possibilities - the stethoscope will help track it down.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 11, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Well, good news is the rods and rockers all look fine (although i only pulled the driver's side where the noise is coming from). Bad news, upon removing each one and then starting up, it didn't stop the noise.

Al, I'm going to try your stethoscope idea. But I'm thinking you might be right in that something is hitting the dust cover. I got in and drove it to the end of the block just to hear the noise from a different perspective and it sounds more like it's coming from underneath the car rather than from the side of the engine. Plus, I have a cheapy plastic dust cover, and even though the noise is loud, I think it would be deafening if it was metal on metal, rather than metal on plastic.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 03:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

My bet at this point then is a loose tq converter to flexplate bolt.

-
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 11, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
mike

i know it sounds dumb but check header gaskets...

67 4spd 383 sport coupe
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 11, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops67 View Post
i know it sounds dumb but check header gaskets...
You know, that's actually where I thought the noise was coming from at first... But, alas, it was not. Point being it doesn't sounds dumb (to me anyway) because that's the first place I put Al's home made stethoscope to.

Got the car jacked up today, both sides nice and level, started it up to crawl under and start listending around. Guess what? It wasn't making a peep. Nada. Zero. Zip. Sounded fine. So, just for good measure, I pushed against the plastic dust cover and -- BINGO! -- something started smacking up against it. So everyone who guessed a tranny-related ailment: you win!

I didn't attempt to pull off the dist cover since the noise subsided. Took it around the block, it made the noise twice when I was rounding a corner and giving gas. So, whatever it is, it has presumably ground into the dust cover and isn't making contact with anything now... So, I guess the question is, should I still be worried?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 11, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
george

[QUOTE=ZaCamaro69;1544181]

I didn't attempt to pull off the dist cover since the noise subsided. Took it around the block, it made the noise twice when I was rounding a corner and giving gas.

Food for thought only.The starter drive can move forward and contact the running flex plate if the return spring in the solenoid is compromised.Shows up more in hard turns and accel like you described.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 11, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

[quote=fatblock;1544211]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaCamaro69 View Post

I didn't attempt to pull off the dist cover since the noise subsided. Took it around the block, it made the noise twice when I was rounding a corner and giving gas.

Food for thought only.The starter drive can move forward and contact the running flex plate if the return spring in the solenoid is compromised.Shows up more in hard turns and accel like you described.
I actually had the starter out a few months back... Can't recall what the issue was then, but I figured out my starter wasn't the problem and reinstalled it.

Would I be able to feel the contact with the flex plate on the dust cover? That is: when I pushed in on the dust cover, if I pushed it hard enough I could feel whatver it was hitting up against the dust cover.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 11, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
george

[quote=ZaCamaro69;1544230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post

I actually had the starter out a few months back... Can't recall what the issue was then, but I figured out my starter wasn't the problem and reinstalled it.

Would I be able to feel the contact with the flex plate on the dust cover? That is: when I pushed in on the dust cover, if I pushed it hard enough I could feel whatver it was hitting up against the dust cover.
Starter drive should be fully retracted when not in use.Anything less is unacceptable.It can not be allowed to float forward and possibly contact a running ring gear.
As far as pushing on the dust cover...by all means its flexable enough to contact the ring gear if you distort it enough.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode