Fuel Problem - any ideas - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via Yahoo to cluxford
Fuel Problem - any ideas

On Fri I was out n about and the fuel pump died....tilt trayed home

Couldn't work on it till today....I'm in Australia so it's now Wed

OK, so started this morning with sparky.

Blown fuse, pop in a new one, fires up perfectly, then 1 min later...dead...no fuel pump. Fuse gone...replace, but wire across the fuse to circumvent it blowing

Drawing right amps...pump still not working

Pump primes for split second then starts "clicking"

We suspect it's the pump. So I call Aeromotive. They suspect pump screwed. I call VPW they have one, so I order it and have it delivered today. Aeromotive say they will fix and replace if I pay shipping.

So new pump arrives 2pm.

I get under rip out the old one (not easy, have to pull battery and few other things). Pull the pre pump filter, clean it, had some crap in it but very very small metal "specs" but not a lot.

Draining the full tank was the longest part.

Put it all back together with the new pump, put the fuel back in...

Fire it up.

Starts, runs 1 min...fuel pump stops again (this time brand new pump).

Now pump will prime for like 1 sec then "lock up" - doesn't click like the old one, but you can hear it ain't turning, it's trying but can't

so next step is we pull the inlet off the regulator so see if fuel getting to the reg...yep for the 1 sec it primes it pumps fuel to the reg inlet, as soon as it "locks up" no more fuel

So get the sparky back, we "hot wire" the pump to 12v jump pack. just locks straight up...no priming. We pull the old one out of the box, connect it to the jump pack, spins like crazy and works perfectly...this was the pump that was "clicking".

So now what is going on ?

Here is the system:

-10 out of tank
into 100 micron filter
into pump (all -10 lines) (Aeromotive A1000)
out of pump into 70 micron filter
into reg
reg splits to carb and a return line (-10) to tank
Tank is vented

Tank was full when this happened (filled up 5 mins earlier)

Tomorrow I plan to pull the outlet out of the pump that goes to the second filter and see if I disconnect it from the second filter it pumps into a bucket.

Struggling....not sure what's going on. It ain't electrical and there appears to be no blockage (given it pumps fuel when the pump spins), no vapour lock...just weird

68 Camaro
632 BBC (World Crate Merlin III)
Dominator 1050 Carby

Any ideas anyone ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

Re: Fuel Problem - any ideas

got to be colapsed sock in tank(filter in tank before pump)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 11, 03:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

battery condition? full charge?
wiring to the fuel pump? what guage wire?
fuel pump fuse? what amperage?
is the fuel pump on its own circuit? relay? toggle switch?
wire connectors at the pump? soldered or butt connected?
is the pump mounted in a anti vibration mannor?
is the pump away from any heat source?
its normal to have a lil trash in the filter with new builds..
what pressure are you running when running down the road?
are you running 1/2 fuel line? from the front to rear?
fuel line running from front to back is not near a heat source?
you could of sucked up some aussie road killl and just jammed the ole thing!!!...hahaha..jk
your engine could require two pumps..one for the front bowl and one for the rear bowl...lol

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 11, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via Yahoo to cluxford

Bill, Darrell

Thanks. Solved the problem today.

Bill checked all those things twice yesterday, once with original pump in then again with new pump when that didn't work...

The 10 micron (yes 10, not 70 as I thought) post pump filter just wouldn't allow any fuel through. It had no crap or anything in there, it was clean as a whistle, but wouldn't flow.

I did some research and Aermotive published a bulletin in July 2009 stating that these 10 micron paper elements have a tendency to "clog up" with the alcohol level of newer fuels (I run 98 octane pump gas) and that you should carry a spare for this very reason. really, wow, you know they don't work and your answer is carry a spare.

When I rang them yesterday even they said the pump was screwed send it back...

so $300 tow truck
$500 replacement pum
4 hours off work under the car

and it turns out to be a $37 filter that is a pain in the butt to get to (it is bolted to the inside of the chassis rail up above a 15" wide drag radial - that took me all of less than 1 hour to replace....

But when the pump stops working and tank side filter is clean last thing you suspect is post pump filter clogging up.

They have a high flow 40 micron stainless steel filter which I have ordered to go in it's place...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 11, 03:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

good deal
glad you got her fixed..
keep an eye on your fuel pressure guage..
it tells a story to the driver!!
my guage would drop when my filter was getting trash in it ..

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I remember the blurb about the paper filters, but didn't worry. I am going to replace mine with the SS #40 that you recommend. Thank you, never would have thought of that, even with the fuel pressure drop at the rail, I would have thought of the sock first!

Gary 9t4Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode