2003 Speed Sensor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

2003 Speed Sensor

I'm having an issue with my 2003 GMC Sierra 4WD. When I apply the brakes at a very low speed the ABS activates. It's my understanding that the speed sensors corrode and need to be 'cleaned-up'. Does that sound like the correct fix for my problem?

I took the truck apart last night and found that the speed sensor is held in by what appears to be a torq-head screw. Is that fastner indeed a torq-head or an allen head screw? What size is it? Any good ideas how I can the screw out without destroying the head? Sure is rusty under that truck!!!!

Thanks for the assistance.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 04:23 AM
Guess

Re: Speed Sensor

Well, been down that road a few times now. It's so common.
But I haven't had any luck taking the sensor out of the hub without breaking off the tube part that inserts into the hub. They snap off because they're corroded in there from rust build-up. Then you have to dig the guts out.

If you can get the sensor out in one piece, you can try cleaning up the mounting surface where it screws to the hub, clean the end of the sensor CAREFULLY, and checking inside the hub where the sensor goes for cleanliness. I stuck a magnet down in the hole and rotated the hub a few times.
Twice now I've put it all back together and nothing.... still had the ABS issue. I've been running my truck since November with the ABS fuse removed.

If it's as rusty as you say, go buy a new sensor (or whole new hub with sensor). I can't remember if that screw is a Torx or Allen... probably Torx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Re: 2003 Speed Sensor

Does the ABS dash light go on if the fuse is pulled? Is the fuse inside the cabin or under the hood?

Thanks for your reply!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 07:47 AM
Guess

Re: 2003 Speed Sensor

Under the hood... 60Amp biggy. And yes, I've been staring at both the ABS and Brake lights ever since. But I don't worry about rolling into the garage door or someone's car at an intersection or parking lot anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode