How about this one - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 11, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to joyride_
How about this one

So my dad's Camaro has roughly 500 or so miles on it...Mallory ignition box with a Mallory unilite distributor. Mallory spiral core spark plug wires that we put together ourselves...kinda a pita...and a voltage spike thingy...here's the link
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-29351/

thing is...i just pulled the wires off the cap to make some of the nitrous wiring a little easier until i get done and i was gonna put them back on....BUTTTTT...the...connectors inside the spark plug boots were all disintegrating and broke off very, very easily. they were blue and the only one that wasn't like that, was the coil wire. a guy on summits phoneline when i called to order new wires for dad, said it could be due to voltage spikes but we have that spike resistor thing...i'm hoping it wasn't because of poorly put together wires but the guy on the phone said he didn't think so...

any ideas as to what happened? I don't have any pics yet but i can take one tomorrow.

PS : sorry for the several posts the past couple days but can't lie, just got a few questions!

Brian
MY RIDE

01 S10 Xtreme 2/3 drop, BUILT 4.3L v6, 5spd
DADS RIDE
69 Camaro 500+ hp 355, t400, currie ford 9inch 4.56 gears, 100 shot
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: how about this one

So about this...new msd 8.5 spiral core wires, and a new mallory dizzy cap and the thing starts up like a champ.

thing is...why after only 500 or so miles on the new motor, would they completely disintegrate the terminals inside the wires on the distributor cap?

We have a voltage spike thing inline with the distributor and all...we did however put together those old wires ourselves...but i thought i did a pretty decent job putting them together even though they're kinda a pita...lol...

any help would be very much appreciated, as these new wires cost roughly 100 bucks...I'm sure my dad wouldn't like replacing them soon....lol thanks again!

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

well--you said you removed them to clean up nitrous--this issue has to be resolved before spraying-not trying to be a ***-but 100 wires verses a engine - gotta have the best quality and set up to spray in my opinion--hope i havent affended anyone

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Well no it's fine, those old ones are toast. We just put new ones on, msd 8.5mm super conductor wires...

but i don't know why the mallory ones we only had on for like 500 miles, are toast already..? I'm just trying to figure that part out so we don't waste this 100 dollars on wires we just spent in another 500 miles...

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Blue and crumbling means heat. Gotta assume that the ends were not assembled properly meaning resistance and heat build up. Were the wire ends folded back over the wire insulation and crimped good so there was good contact against the terminal and wire core? The coil wire was preassembled, correct?

The power filter protects the module itself from spikes.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 11, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Gotcha!! Thank you sir! The wires that were blue and crumbled I for the most part put together myself, but I did fold the wires back and were against the terminal. I don't know what I did wrong to be honest...
You're right though, the coil wire was pre-assembled and was perfectly fine.

The new MSD wires we made sure we're pre-assembled so I guess that's hopefully something we don't have to deal with anymore. The Summit guy mentioned voltage spikes so I had to ask, especially since he said he didn't think our problem was due to poorly put together wires. Now I feel like I owe my dad some money but I'm sure I could put together the wires better than he could....LOL

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech

Re: How about this one

Did you put any dielectric grease in the ends?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride_ View Post
Gotcha!! Thank you sir! The wires that were blue and crumbled I for the most part put together myself, but I did fold the wires back and were against the terminal. I don't know what I did wrong to be honest...
You're right though, the coil wire was pre-assembled and was perfectly fine.

The new MSD wires we made sure we're pre-assembled so I guess that's hopefully something we don't have to deal with anymore. The Summit guy mentioned voltage spikes so I had to ask, especially since he said he didn't think our problem was due to poorly put together wires. Now I feel like I owe my dad some money but I'm sure I could put together the wires better than he could....LOL

this sounds like the culprit.

p.s. adding a bit of dielectric grease to the terminal ends at the cap and plugs is also a good idea. it reduces potential arching ,moisture and corrosion issues and aids in installing plug wires.

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 09:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

MSD wires are crap btw!
ill never use them or taylor wires again ever!!!!!

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

We didn't put any grease buttttt we're going to now. lol
What's wrong with MSD wires? I didn't really do any research on them. I know alot of 4.3 guys over in the s10 forum that use Taylor wires and I currently am, haven't had any issues yet..? lol

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

the pre made wires should have the lube on the boots--havent hade no problem w msd wires and wouldnt use anything but-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode