Not running right - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Not running right

I’m having trouble figuring out why my 68 isn’t running right. It is a 350 mild GM crate (300 hp) with an edlebrock 1904 Q-jet type carb. When running it sounds like someone is clearing his throat –raspy sounding at the carb. It has about 17 steady on the vacuum gauge. The car has power brakes and air. Thinking that there might be a leak in the air vacuum system I plugged it at the manifold fitting—RPMS and vacuum drop and it runs even more rough. Any thoughts about where to start first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Not running right

A smaal lph burner or ehgine start ( ether ) will locat a vac leak.....the $5 pencil lph burner is far less messy.....ether scews up polished Aluminium.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

i think i would use break clean instead but--i am sure ur exhaust is clear --how about a change in timing--bad centrifical weights

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
i think i would use break clean instead
It just so happens that LPG is far safer than ccommonanly thought.

And the safe part is LPG has a very small ratio tolreance with air...unlike most other solvents....with the turbulance in the engine compartment diluting very quick
With a pencil torch the lpg is concentrated on a very small area and use a very small volume...IF in the very unlikely case there is an ign, its just a small flash....brake cleaner , engine start etc are fluids..they flash and the solvents laying around burn...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 03:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

are you sure it just inst bad gas????????
btw I use a unlit propane torch to track down vacum leaks.
good indication of a vacum leak is a real fast idle

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

In response:

The timing is right and han't changed. The distributor is relatively new and was working well. It could be bad gas but it would have had to be a couple of tanks full since it has been ongoing. The idle is a bit rough but not fast and really hasn't changed for over a year or so.

You all seem to think it is a vacuum leak and that is what I thought too. I did the carb cleaner process focusing on the intake manifold but the engine didn't speed up. Why do you think the engine rpms and vacuum dropped when I plugged the vacuum line to the air conditioning switches?

Thanks for your thoughts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

you dont have a egr valve style intake on this one--just guessing right now-valves adj a 1/4 turn too tight
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 11:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

u have done nothing, changed nothing that may cause this...
There is an old saying....
"the is many a carb tuned by changing spark plugs"
And anyone who has been around engines for decades will know this...
change the plugs...clean the rotor and cap pins, check HT lead clips and boots, and check for HT leaks on a dark night.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Hmmm, but if that is the case Steps, why did the plugs foul in the first place? Without correcting that, the plugs will foul again, but good idea to at least pull them and read them. It will tell you how the combustion chamber is burning.

alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode