Carburetor Backfire - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 11, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Matt

Carburetor Backfire

Hey Guys. Can any one help me out with this one?

So, today i was driving and in second gear at about 3800 rpm, i started to hear a loud "popping/knocking" noise from the engine. it dissipated as i let off the gas or changed to 3rd. It gradually got worse and started to happen regardless of gear or rpm. (But still much worse and louder at higher RPMs). Seems like I was losing power too. Eventually the engine started sputtering and stalling also. Got it home and took a look under the hood. Found out the loud noise was the carburetor backfiring. I could see the carb puffing out vapor everytime it backfired. It pretty much sounds like I have firecrackers in my engine when i give it gas. So my question is, WHY?!

It seems like a timing issue but the engine sounds good, except for the carb backfiring. I checked the compression and all are consistent (120). Messed with the distributor and makes no difference to the backfiring.

would it be a valve or a valve spring that could be causing this issue? Any thoughts, or insights would be much appreciated.

THANKS!

69 Camaro, 406 SB, TH400, holley double pumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 11, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Carburetor Backfire

Back Firing through Carb: 1/ Accelerator or Fuel Pump Failing, plain Dirty Carb or Fuel Filter; causing a Lean Out - Hi Possibility. 2/ Mechanical Advance Springs Shot - Hi Possibility. 3/ Loose Distributor and the Timing is backing off - Hi Possibility. 4/ Timing Chain Slipped - Hi Possibility. 5/ Stuck or burnt intake valve - Hi Possibility. 6/ Wiped Exhaust lobe but only when you snap shut the throttle - Possible. 7/ Points need cleaning and adjusted - Possible. 8/ Bad Distributor Bearings - Possible. 9/ Coil Failing or Bad Run circuit in Ignition Switch - Possible. 10/ Vacuum Leak - Possible. 11/ Blown Power Valve - unlikely ... etc.

If you suspect a Valve put a Vacuum Gauge on her.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Apr 23rd, 11 at 06:46 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 11, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech

Check with a vacuum gage... http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 11, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

i would assume -its exhaust restriction or cam valve spring broke or exhaust push rod bent -broke rocker--i would pull valve covers before running any more
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Matt

Thanks for the help guys. I took the valve covers off and started it up. I found a rocker that is barely moving. So I am trying to figure out now why the push rod isnt moving (it is not bent). Tightened it down some and got rid of the backfire but the rocker still hardly moves. Do you think it is the lifter? Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
Terry

Hopefully it is a bad/collapsed lifter. However don't discount a bad cam lobe. Egads.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Matt

Ok. took the lifter out (with alot of effort) and found that the bottom of it has been worn down by the cam so that it is now concave. What the hell? So what now? If i replace the lifter, what is stopping it from happening again. Do you think i should pull the cam first? ... i guess i know the answer to that question already, but i am trying to be optimistic
Any advice is appreciated.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech

Flat cam lobe. Sorry. The motor needs to be pulled and disassembled. All that metal dust can kill the motor. Check the bearings and the piston skirts. I use this to protect my cam...http://www.cam-shield.com/index.html A roller cam conversion fixes the problem the best.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

got to replace the cam and lifters-and use zinc additive--in my opinion you dont have to pull the motor and go thru it --i have done well over hundred without breaking down motor and they have last-but if you dont feel comfortable about it go thru it--i still would chek the valve guide and geometry on that cylinder
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Agree,..wiped lobe. Pull the engine, tear it down, assess damage, dip/clean everything, reassemble with new cam, lifters, bearings, etc.

What cam was this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode