Transmission Fluid Leaking? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Transmission Fluid Leaking?

Well its not gushing out be Im a little concerned. Keep in mind that I forgot to clean it up the past three times Ive taken it out. It usually starts leaking when I park in and thats it. Any Ideas would be great because Im out of them.....

Oh and heres a newly polished camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Re: Transmission Fluid Leaking?

Looks like the floor under my vert when it sits over winter. I have changed the front seal in the powerglide a few times but gave up after I drive it for the first time of the season it stops leaking till the next winter.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

It's very hard to diagnose a leak by looking at the spot it left on the floor.

Had it up on stands yet to look for drops hanging off of spots? I'd say get yourself some Rhino ramps, go drive it, come straight home and get it on the ramps, jack the rear end up and put stands under it, then lay under it with a flash light. That's the only way I found a coolant leak once on a truck that would only leak going down the road.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Any Ideas would be great because Im out of them.....
Would help if u also told us which ideas u gave checked todate

possiblities
1/pan bolts not torqued correct...
2/ trans cooler line cracked at the joint, or just inside replace
3/ Trans line nuts over torqued and distorted replace
4/ The nipples into thr trans over torquesd and hairling crack in the case...dismantle trans and grind out, tig weld and reassemble with new bushes and bearings
5/O ring around oil filler tune or distorted...replace.
6/Rear seal or front seal
7/ incorrect length bolts mounting the pump....cant mix aussie built trans bolts wih US built trans...If too long rebuild, if too short replace.
8/ over filled and spilling out the kick down seal.

I best way to fine a trans leak...because it can be very deceptive...is the car on a hoist, everything cleaned down, and run on thr hoist to try and dupilcate

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 11, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Thanks appreciate the help. I guess will have to clean up the garage after I get home from the car show. Once again thanks for the help everyone!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 11, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech
George

If it only leaks after having set a long period of time, it's usually due to the fluid draining back from the torque convertor, overfilling the pan / valve body cavity, then leaking at either the dipstick tube o'ring or kickdown / shift shaft seals. If the pan gasket were the culprit, you usually have leakage while driving as well. JMO
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 11, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I agree with George and to add, the torque convertor fluid would leak through the oil pump and fill up the case and could leak out the vent on top right at the b/housing junction and points to the pass side.
This is normal if the car sits for some time. Every day driving, you won't see it.
As suggested earlier, check the fill tube and the kickdown cable housing first.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 11, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I agree with George and to add, the torque convertor fluid would leak through the oil pump and fill up the case and could leak out the vent on top right at the b/housing junction and points to the pass side.
This is normal if the car sits for some time. Every day driving, you won't see it.
Number 9/ on my list lol
Since all my classics are driven daily, never seen that...and most rods in NZ, there is a run, show on everyweekend, not many (unless trailer queens) get a chance to sit that long.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 02:15 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

yep--probably pan gasket or shift seal--also clean it with brake clean and spray some talcom powder around that area if you dont see the leak
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Z4C View Post
talcom powder around that area if you dont see the leak
Best leak detector I found in years.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Z4C
talcom powder around that area if you dont see the leak
Seen that posted up quite a few times.....
Damn when one wants a leak to try it out, doesnt happen..
Bloody Murphys law again.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Seen that posted up quite a few times.....
Damn when one wants a leak to try it out, doesnt happen..
Bloody Murphys law again.
If I'm ever in NZ I'll grant your wish with my magic wand AKA socket wrench.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode