'86 Z28 got me down - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Question '86 Z28 got me down

hi , my names alex and i just bought my first chevy , im used to ford trucks efi 87-96, this is my first car and my first chevy its a 86 Z28 305 with a quadrajet it was sitting for a couple years before i snagged it.
a lil 93 octane down the carb and she fired right up held for a couple minutes then cut out , when i got it home syphoned the tank put 3 gallons of 93 in the tank , changed the plugs, fuel filter .
but now all it does is crank then sum choke cleaner she fires up but dies soon after. i do have a haynes manual to reference from but everything to me is pointing to the carb .
thanks for reading all that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Re: '86 Z28 got me down

Sounds like fuel not getting from tank to pump or pump to carb.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might take and disconnect the inlet fuel line to the fuel pump and blow some shop air into the fill tube to push fuel through the line to prime the pump if so equipped with a mech pump.

If you have an electric pump in the tank, make sure the relay is working. Relay is a 1 inch by two inch black box next to the drvr hood hinge on the firewall. You could pull the relay and jumper with a wire and two male spades to power up the pump to prime the system. this action would get fuel to the carb and make it run, hopefully if the carb is not gummed up and could use a cleaning. Taking the carb number from the drvr side front surface to the parts would get you the correct overhaul kit for rebuild and cleaning.

Having a carb on an '86 Z28 would read like a previous owner changeover from TPI. If it is, then the tank pump would pressurize the fuel too much, +40 PSI, unless a return line is used and fuel line to carb is reg'd.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 12:59 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

it came with el pump in tank--gotta see how they did it -are they running the el pump still with a regulator -if so remove hose to carb and turn key to on and see if fuel comes out for 10 sec--also you can fill the carb with fuel by pooring fuel in vent tube of carb -just a cap full-if you poor too much it will run out of ventures in carb and flood motor--by doing this -the car will run for a minute and you can see if carb is working--problem is probably pump in tank
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

im sure the pump is mech,fuel to the carb and it has a new fuel filter , and that air hose to the line sounds like a good idea if i could drive it there (i dont have one) it starts then shuts right off fuel pump relay i replaced , it has spark and air i just dont trust this quadra jetnobody has nothing nice to say about it except this old timer who seems to know his **** , put i gotta give er a jump and i'll try some new tactics , and the haynes manual i have says the vin is correct its a 4 barrel 305

Last edited by 305 H.O.; May 10th, 11 at 06:24 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: '86 Z28 got me down

ok its the carb and some really really dirty gas , now all i need is some help finding a car thats under 200 buxmy junkyard doesnt have any q jets or carbs that'll fit summit has one on sale for 235 and its a edelbrock remanufactered 650 electric choke is that too big cuz im goolgling the hell out of quadra jet cfm and cfm quadra jet 305
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

do some research-and rebuild the one u have --there not that hard--
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 08:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/cat-chevycar.html

Scroll all the way down to the bottom to figure out which one you have as there are two models.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 11, 10:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

It's a 305/190 (L69) with the carb. My friend has an 83... He periodically has problems with the carb. But a rebuild usually fixes it. thirdgen.org says only 74 were produced in 86 with that engine! I guess that makes it rare, for better or worse... I'm pretty sure the carb is a E4EM Quadrajet.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 02:40 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

i have rebuilt tons of these carbs when i worked at the dealer-they set them up so lean from the factory that they stumble--if you decide to rebuild it--let me know--i can give you some tips to make it where you love it
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 06:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

I'll take the tips! You can PM me if you want to... My friend is trying to solve a few carb issues. If anything, we will have the info the next time we rebuild it.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 11, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

i will try to catch up with you this evening been busy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode