396/375 eng. temp. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 03, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a 68 camaro with totally rebuilt 396/375 hp engine along with new 4 core rad,new hoses, water pump and 180 degree thermostate. the temo gauge is running between 210 to 220 degrees. should i be alarmed. the engine is not boiling over nor is it hard to start when at 210. the gauge i am using is a good quality set og gauges from summit..any ideas or is this not a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 03, 02:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Do you have a fan shroud and a fan that fits it correctly? If the radiator and fan have enough capacity, then the engine should run on the t-stat. That is it should run about 180-185.

When is the engine at 210-220 degrees? Idling? open road?

This temperature really won't hurt the engine, new cars run at 225 by design, but you should find out why it's getting so hot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 03, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech

My 396 runs at 180ish. Standing still on a hot day in traffic it will creep up to 210-220.
Makes me uneasy too, I think its all in my head. This motor has been running for 10+ years so it must not be too bad.
Same basic combo you have. 4 core, 180 therm new alum water pump.
No shroud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Camaro

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 03, 03:41 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
When does it get that hot?

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 03, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I suggest you install a Robertshaw or Mr Gasket (made by Robertshaw) High Flow thermostat. One can get these from any retailer selling MrGasket or Summit Racing.

You should have it run cooler, or you will have hot starting problems this summer.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 03, 01:38 AM
Senior Tech

First things first. Are you sure that the gauge is accurate? Have you calibrated in boiling water? Where is the location of your sensor, whereas head sensor locations can become heatsoaked with exhaust which experiences tainting and does not reflect true block/head temperatures. Intake location is the best consistent readout.

Even if the temperature is rising, I am assuming at idle or slow speed cruising. Temperatures that creep up while at highway speeds usually indicate either a lower hose restriction (no spring) or a too lean condition.

Engines that run fine on the cycling/opening points of thermostats at speed, yet rise during idle or slow speeds are indicative of lack of airflow at idle/slow speed. This is usually fan shround related. MOre airflow is needed to keep things in check. Temperatures of 210+ are not alarming, but instability is....in other words temperature rising and keeps rising!

What kind of fan setup do you have? Clutch fans are inconsistent in behaviour and can cause intermittent problems.

Changing the thermostat will not appreciably affect the running temperature (no disrespect meant to Everett!) The RS thermostat meantioned may help flow a smiggin, but usually is not a problem solver for rising temperatures.

For more on cooling ideas visit my techforum at Jack'Stands Cooling Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode