Mono to Multi leaf perches... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My 10 bolt rear end has mono-leaf spring perches on it. I am attempting to go to multi-leaf. Do I need to have new perches welded onto my axle? Or can I go ahead and just let the bottem spring cushion hang down past the perch? Do you think I will get much movement back there? It's not a race car or anything. What are the different ways to remedy this?

Can I make some spacers to fit on there? 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch?

Thanks

Tony Rapin
Detroit, Michigan

[This message has been edited by Infamous (edited 10-17-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 10:15 AM

Hey Tony. I have an original mono leaf car with the rearend still in it. I am going to a 12 bolt within the next two weeks and it is set up for multileaf springs. I have the multileafs on the car already and it rides fine. Whether or not it will/would hold up for the life of the car, I do not know. NPD advertises a kit for cars such as yours and my own. They give you the bolts and the pads that you will need to the job nicely. If you do not plan on changing the rearend eventually, I would at least think about changing the perches over to the correct multileaf perches.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 10:30 AM

Naw, you dont need to replace the perches, you dont even need the pads, but that would depends on total leaf thickness. I would recommend using 1/2" u-bolts after drilling out the holes in your current perches.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 11:24 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The pin (bolt that holds the multi spring stack together) in the multi leaf is the biggest problem. The mono perch doesn't have a locator hole for it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 11:38 AM

Create one........
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 11:59 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
But don't punch through the axle tube!! I think that's why some fab a plate (with a locater hole) just thick enough to bury the locater pin and weld it in place...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Actually, the pad that was supplied by Hotchkis Performance (these are Hotchkis multi-leafs) has a hole in it, and the thickness of the pad is enough that the bolt head does not touch the perch.

I've decided that I'm going to enlist my neighbor, who works at a machine shop, to make me some spacers to go on there. My biggest worry is that the bottem leaf spring pad could wiggle loose and fall out over time. The spacers will prevent this from happening. I have caliper in hand and am heading out to the garage right now to do some precise measuring.

Thanks for all your help.

Tony

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 12:29 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
and that piece that sticks up on the pad is suspose to go in the locater hole with a bushing stuck inside it. You will run the risk of the rear slipping without some kind of locater locking things in place... i'm speaking from experience on this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I discovered that the Southside Machine Lift Bars, that will be bolted to the bottem, have a 1/2 inch hole drilled in them to accept the bolt. And the bolt hangs down about 1/2 inch.

So the axle will be secure on the spring.

I guess the good people at Southside Machine have been doing their homework.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 04:37 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I may be mis-informed but I was under the impression that the use of traction bars with Hotchkis leafs is counter productive. You might want to do a search in the Suspenson forum as there has been lots of info on this...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What??!!

Interesting...I'll check it out.

Thanks for the 'heads-up'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode