it wont start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Okay I have a 1992 RS camaro 305 tbi with automatic The problem started while is was on vacation. I stopped at the store and whene I came out it just wouldnt start It wouldnt crank just nothing, all the gauges and radio and everything works. It than after jacking the car up and screwing with the starter ant playing with thw shifter inside of the car and hitting the dash it fired up.I havent had a problem with it since until yesterday at a tire shop.After the first time it happened I replased the starter and battery thinking that was it.But it happened again yesterday. I think it might be the factory kill switch in the key or something Ive screwed with everything and it still doesnt workknow power the the starter from the ignition.I even put in a knew ignition I dont understand this stupid thing.Does anyone know how to by pass the factory security/kill switch system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Rusty, see if you car will start in neutral.
Also, you might try moving the shifter slightly as you hold the key in the start position. If the neutral safety switch get out of adjustment, or the linkage gets damaged, you can experience intermittent starting problems.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 05:18 PM
David Pozzi

It's probably the neutral safety switch.
If it happens again, hold the ign switch in the start position, and jiggle the shifter even if you have to put it from neutral to park while the switch is on.
If the starter tries to go when you are moving the shifter, it's the switch.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

I have had a few beaters in my day with some of the same problems. The last one was an 82 honda civic... what a piece!! Anyway it had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad ground. Check the simple things first. All it's lights and guages would come on and as soon as I would turn on the key it would die and every thing would shut off.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I tried holding the key and moving the shifter. nothing not even a little turn in the starter. I checked the ignition wires under the dash for any shorts but their all in perfect condition.all the grounds and wires are fine I even pulled my sterio out to check the wires in their because some one told me that the stock sterio had the security system conected to it and if any wires wernt connected that their might be a short in the security system but everything checked out so any other suggetions?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Rusty, The neutral safety switch may be totally shot in which case you car will not start even if you move the shifter... Do you know how to use a remote switch ( or screw driver ) to jump the ignition at the starter to verify that the starter and the main battery feed are okay? If it runs over when you jump it at the starter, I would still look to replace the neutral safety switch...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Rusty, it sounds like a "pass key" problem. I've seen that many times. What normally happens is the small wires running from ignition lock cylinder break or only have partial contact. The best way to test this is to plug in a "pass key" tester. Also a worn key will also do this. I'd rec. dealer or r&r steering wheel/lock plate for a visual inspection of wires. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode