'69 Camaro Power Steering Leak - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've had a slight drip from the front (toward the grille) of my power steering box for some time now on my '69 Camaro. It has slowly gotten worse.
I just pulled my steering box and I'm about to replace it. I can't see a place for a seal where mine is leaking. Here are the numbers from my old box: (2766 Inside a square), 6689023, 691676 and 259. I have no clue what the numbers mean. How much should I expect to pay for a new box or even a nice used one. Anything I should be aware of buying a used one? Will I need any of these numbers when buying another box? I know these can sometimes be rebuilt, but have heard if there is wear inside, the new seals won't seal anyway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech

If you're not worried about getting a "fast ratio" gear box, then you should be able to get a replacement at your local parts store, I got mine from Autozone, I think it was about 150 bucks with a core. Do yourself a favor, shy away from the used ones, unless your doing a totally "correct" restoration, and care about the #'s game. This is one thing that you don't want to have to replace if it starts leaking again, trust me on this one........KZ
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, I just called a buddy of mine and he has an original steering box off his '69 Camaro. He changed his to manual steering, so he sold me the box, power steering pump along with a big block power steering bracket, a couple of miscellaneous pulleys and brackets and both power steering hoses for $150.00, so I guess I did alright as long as it doesn't leak. I really only needed the box, so the rest are freebies. He assured me that everything was leak free a month ago when he removed it all. He also wouldn't accept any money until I get it all hooked up and working properly. What a friend!! Thanks! Bill

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 01:30 AM
Senior Tech

Bill, If I recall correctly there are three different power steering gears on a 69'. For example a car with factory A/C should have a "fast ratio" box which is about 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. Count your turns lock to lock and that should help you identify it if you think it is original to your car.

If you look in the resto catalogs I've seen them listed there.

If its leaking where mine was there is a large "O" ring under the concave shaped cover, where the internal parts are slid into the gear. There should be a small hole on the edge of the steering gear to pop out the large snap ring holding this cover on. The "O" ring is behind it.

I've changed many pitman & stub shaft (input) seals on gear boxes over the last 25+ years and have never had to change one of these "O" rings before. But a 34 year old gear box ................ well!

Drew<br />69' X-11 Coupe
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just finished putting on the steering box. Mine is about 2 1/2 turns from stop to stop. So far everything is tight and no signs of leaks. I just finished purging the system. It's raining here, so no test drive today. I know one thing, I never want to attempt changing this box again by myself with the engine installed. The headers and everything else make things tight and this darn box is heavy!!! Thanks for the help! Bill
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech

Bill, Glad it worked out for you. Your car looks sweet. Is it an original Z? You may want to rebuild that steering gear you took out for originality.

I just pulled my rear, leaf springs, and gutted the back end of my car today so I know what kind of joy you were having. Now sand blasting parts and waiting on the UPS man. Its going my way now!

Whoever invented PB Blaster is a Genius!

I should be making smoke in a couple of weeks with my new rear and modifications.

Good Luck

Drew<br />69' X-11 Coupe
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 03, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the compliments Drew! No my Camaro is not a real Z, but I wouldn't enjoy it any more if it were. I don't really know what the old box that I removed was from originally, but I doubt it was a '69. I heard that those PB Blasters are great even though I've never tried one. I take all my small parts to work to blast. Post some pics of your car when it's finished. Good luck with your mods. Thanks again guys! Bill
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 03, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

redline,
I just replaced my gearbox for the same problem you were having a couple weeks ago. One thing you may want to consider is the longer pitman arm. Not only did the fast-ratio make a drastic improvement, but that along with a slightly longer pitman arm gave me a little more leverage and I can now turn noticeably tighter than before. I used information from Dave Pozzi's website. It's the single best resource on the net for anything first gen suspension related. Sorry I don't have it handy but if you do a search in these forums and find it, I highly reccommend referencing it for any future undertakings!

Sweet ride by the way!

Chris
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 03, 05:31 PM
David Pozzi

Check my page below for info.
I'd get some new hoses and check the rag joint condition. The long pitman is a good idea.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode