Transmission shifting late - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 00, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a GM 440-T4 automatic transmission. Yesterday I started noticing a problem with the shift timing. The vehicle runs up to around 26mph before shifting from 1 to 2 and runs up around 48mph before shifting from 2 to 3. This problem seems to come and go. I kicked the passing gear in, and the problem seemed to clear up, it shifted normally the next time I stopped and started again. Any idea what is causing this shift timing problem? Is something getting ready to go bad? Why is the problem intermittent? Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 00, 07:42 AM

I do not have any direct experience with the 440 transmission, however the problem you're describing sounds like the vacuum modulator is not working correctly or at all. Check the vacuum connection going to the unit to verify the source first. If this is good, I would contact a reputable transmission shop to double check the condition before replacing any parts (even though the modulator itself is relatively inexpensive).

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/dmdirks/Automotive.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 06:07 PM
David Pozzi

I'd go over all the vaccum hoses first. Then if you can make the car do it again, take it to the trans shop and show em.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 04:10 PM

Umm, i had a 'similar' problem in my '84. I replaced the TV cable. It turned out that it was damaged and it was causing it to delay the pull on the cable.

I would try something cheap like that first. The new cable ran me like $10 and solved the problem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 06:06 PM

Smile

On older vehicles without TV cables, a damaged rubber vacuum line to the modulator is a very common problem, which costs next to nothing to fix. The vacuum modulator, in the rare case that it needs replacement, is less than $20. And, as you pointed out, Dtaney, later model cars have other contributing factors which can result in similar symptoms.

If the free stuff is done first, and it comes time to buy a new vacuum modulator (or TV cable, for the sake of example) it's a good sanity check to ask a friendly shop a few questions to confirm that there is no other major damage to the transmission that could possibly cause similar symptoms.

Far too often people buy parts to fix their cars without methodically isolating the problem first. This is why these discussions are so valuable!

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/dmdirks/Automotive.html
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 09, 08:43 PM
Jonathan

Re: Transmission shifting late

Oh my dear God, you guys just took a huge weight off my shoulders. I went googling for this exact same problem thinking my transmission was about to go and now I find that it's just the vacuum hoses which I already know need a working over.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

just had same problem on my turbo 400 was the vacume line going mod.on tranny

clayton hicker
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech

A 440-T4 sounds like a modern transmission which shouldn't have any vacuum hoses. What the devil is this tranmsission in anyway?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
bill

a 440-t4 or called 4t60 is a front wheel drive from 84-93. in 93 and up went to a 4t60-e. the 440-t4 has a cable to the throttle body that will hang up or end of cable end pieces break sticking the cable. the modulator for this transmission controls how hard it shifts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode