Blue smoke? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 05:44 PM
SSuperman

Question

Hey guys....I get a puff of blue smoke almost every time I start my car...It is an oil smell to it, anything I can do to stop this without clearing out my bank account?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Valve stem seals are gone, not doing their intended job.

You might be able to put GM's spring hood/cup on the valve spring along with replacing the stem seal and installing stem cup seals on the valve stem/guide.

This can be done without removing heads.

Or, remove heads and have headwork done, exchange heads for rebuilt ones, or buy new ones and re-install.

But then, the old wives' tale, "You build the top end, the bottom end will fall out" I personally never experienced this, but

It depends on how deep your pockets are.

Others here may have some good suggestions, on a fix, the question is, how comsumption is there and is the blue smoke really that bad?

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 03:32 PM
SSuperman

The Blue smoke is bad enough for friends to comment about it...seems to happen after I drive the car hard, turn it off and then restart it...as far as oil consumption, 1/2 qrt. in the past 500 miles?....
I've hear about that old "wives tale" and knowing my luck it would happen to me.
I kinda had an idea the valve seals are on their way out...I think I'll try changing them. THANKS!!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 11:48 AM

Sounds like the valve guides are bad. That happened to me and I had to take off the heads. The machine shop only charged me $45.00 to replace all of them and thats because they had to replace a bad valve.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

The puff of smoke at startup is a Chevy curse! The stock engines really dont have a valve seals like umbrellas or PC type. They have an o-ring that deflects oil. I had a brand new 85 IROC-Z and it did it from the day it was made!!

This alone won't ever hurt the performance of the car if you can live with the big puff of smoke! But, if your using 1qt per 1000 miles, you have a more serious problem like leaks or rings!

Does it smoke blue under hard decelleration? This is a sure sign that the valve guides are wiped out!

------------------
Mighty Mouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode