1969 RS headlight doors - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 11, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
FIDEL

Garage
1969 RS headlight doors

Just installed repro actuators. Can not get doors to close all the way. Is it true the repros are not the correct size? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 11, 01:05 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 1969 rs headlight doors

some of the repros out there on the market have the wrong actuator piston shaft length, or sometimes the seals on the inside ring are dried out and leak too much vacuum.

Do a search here cause not too long ago someone posted the original actuator piston shaft length and what the repops from Classic were. It was close but not so much and If I remember correctly Classic shipped out the correct length no questions asked. How short are the doors closing with the new cans?

If you can manually close the doors all the way by hand, then its not the actuator piston shaft length, but maybe the seals. You can bench them with compressed air or vacuum. Seals can be refreshed by spraying in a good quality silicone front port and back port, then slowly rotate the can so the spray coats the edge of the internal piston ring. Test again.

If you get full travel of the piston shaft with air or vacuum in the bench test then it may be weak vacuum from your hose set or manifold.

Were they working up until the cans were replaced?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 11, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
FIDEL

Garage
Re: 1969 RS headlight doors

Have all the original stuff but, due to the arizona heat and moisture all the system was dry rotted or shot. Actuators were rusted bad.So they never worked when I first got the car. Maybe I can have the original ones rebuilt?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 11, 03:17 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

nah the actuators are hard to open and then impossible to reseal. Repop cans are the best route if you want to remain factory vacuum, if not Detroit Speed's retro electric doors are the path to take.

So if I read your response right and extrapolate the following:
"was dry rotted and shot" = you replaced all the vacuum hoses, the check valve, manual valve, headlight switch, the two actuators, and maybe the reservoir tank? What condition were the cranks and springs of the doors in?

Were you able to manually, with your hands push closed the doors all the way with no binding?

You can troubleshoot using my posting here. It will zero in on what is the issue. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...61&postcount=3

Entire thread is located here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195773

Brian

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 11, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
FIDEL

Garage

They open and close fine but, still have about 3/8 of an opening on both sides. Any cure
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 11, 03:27 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfreak1 View Post
They open and close fine but, still have about 3/8 of an opening on both sides. Any cure
And once in this position can you push them shut the final 3/8 and they stay or are you forcing them at that point? If you are forcing them, disconnect the canister arm and if you can push shut no binding and they stay closed all the way then the problem is maybe the arm adjustment or housing seating. Was the entire system removed and rebuilt or new cans attached to existing doors still in front end?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 11, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
FIDEL

Garage

New cans attached.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 11, 06:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Can you push them closed and have them stay shut? If you can then look at page 457-464 in the AIM for possible adjustments. If you can't its most likely the position of the can or its piston is not long enough. As I said above you can test this - disconnect one from the arm and see if the door swings all the way closed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode