O2 SENSOR? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 03, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have a 99 Camaro with 3.8/auto when the car is cold it runs great. as soon as it warms up it is dead below 3000rpm coughs and and won't take any throttle if you let up on the gas or feed gas slowly it is a lot better but you can still feel it has a power loss..
Anyboby have this problem please HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 03, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech

thats because the o2 sensor runs in open loop mode when the car is cold. when the car warms up or has been running for about 2 or more minutes, if there is a fault detected in the o2 sensor circuit, it sets a code. the o2 sensor only works when the car is warm(when the exhaust pipes are about 600 degrees.) it reacts with the oxygen content in the exhaust to produce a voltage output which is sent to the PCM to help determine fuel delivery. Are you sure it is the o2 sensor? is the "Service Engine Soon" light on? if so, it may not be the o2 sensor unless you have already scanned it for the codes. please post back with more info.

P.S. if you don't know how to scan the codes, since it is a 99 you can take it to the GM dealer and they will scan it for you or since your camaro is equipped with the OBD 2(on board diognastic system 2), you can purchase a scanner for it at any parts store just about.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 03, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Hey Nate,
If I give the car a lot of pedal while it is running rough the service engine light will blink on and off. If I continue to do this for an extended period of time it will stay on but if I go back to babying the pedal after I shut the car off the light will go off?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 03, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech

like i said, there is no way you know for sure what the engine light coming on meand without a code scanner. get one or go to the dealer and have them do it and i can help you from there. could be anything but i doubt the o2 sensor.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 03, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I'll see if I can't get a scanner and find out what the cade is and I'll get back in touch Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode