solenoid? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 99, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

I HAVE A 67 350 CAMARO W/HEADERS. WHEN I STOP THE CAR AFTER IT REACHES 190 DEGREES W/ THE ELECTRIC FAN RUNNING, I'AM UNABLE TO START IT UNTIL 5 MINUTES LATER.AT THAT TIME THE FAN IS STILL RUNNING.WHEN I TRY TO START IT,THERE IS NOTHING. I FEEL EITHER THE FAN IS DRAWING TOO MUCH OR I NEED A REMOTE STARTER SOLENOID.LAST NIGHT I DROVE ABOUT THREE MILES,CAME HOME SHUT THE CAR DOWN AND EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM. COULD THERE BE A HOT SPOT,HEAT SOAK? DOES THE STARTER NEED TO BE COVERED.WOULD WRAPPING THE HEADERS DO ANY GOOD OR COULD THEY CAUSE CONDENSATION AND RUST THE HEADERS?IF IT IS THE FAN HOW COULD I CHECK IT AND WHAT WOULD BE THE SPECS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 99, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech

Does the fan stay running with the key off? I'd rewire that rascal real quick so it shuts off with the engine. Wrapping header at starter might do wonders for this. Probably need to get a rebuilt starter. Not a lot of money for these, say 50 bucks with solenoid already on it. tom
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 99, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY TOM. WHEN YOU SAY WRAP THE HEADER AT STARTER,DO YOU MEAN TO WRAP THE STARTER OR THE HEADERS OR BOTH? WHAT ABOUT A TILLTON STARTER OR ONE OF THESE MINI STARTERS? WOULD THEY BE OVERKILL? ALSO, I RECENTLY BOUGHT THIS CAR AND REALIZED I HAVE A TOGGLE SWITCH TO TURN OFF THE FAN.WHEN I DID THE CAR STARTED.THAT IS A QUICK FIX BUT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THIS?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 99, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech

Need to check the complete fan wiring circuit. Should have a thermostat switch wired into a relay. Can have a toggle switch override which is common. With the switch off, let the car idle until it starts to heat up and make sure the fan does come on. If not, need to just use the switch or rewire as neeeded. Many parts stores, try www.jegs.com or www.summitracing. com, have starter heat shields that are designed for this, or wrap the headers near the starter. A blanket on the starter may keep heat out, but holds heat in too. IF it is starting ok now, may not need anything. tom
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 99, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech

Does the engine crank, just won't fire, check the voltage at the coil, when you crank there should be full battery voltage at the positive coil terminal, there should be two wires, one is a resistor wire gives about 2/3 voltage when engine running 9-10 volts the other wire runs to the starter solinoid, so when you crank you get full battery voltage. about 12 volts cranking, if it won't crank turn on the head lights and try cranking, do they go very yellow and dim, then your stater is fried and is drawing too much current, check the timming, too far advanced would make for a slow crank when hot.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 99, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

when electric fan is running and temp is not over 190,i can turn the fan off at the toggle switch and car will start.if i turn switch off and the fan is still on i cannot start the car.it will not crank.then i must disengage the relay for it to start.when i looked at the wires leading up to the relay,one of the pins were broken. could this be the culprit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode