fans turn on stereo turns off.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Stephen

fans turn on stereo turns off....

sorry guys, not sure if this belongs here or under troubleshooting...

I have a 502 in my 69 Camaro and to keep it under 4,000 degrees I am running 2 Bosch (puller) fans on my radiator. When I got the car last year, it came with a “pretty” chrome alternator (3 wire style) I say "pretty" cause I think it is one of my problems. I just got a mild stereo installed and now every time the fans kick on it shuts the stereo off for a brief second then the stereo starts back up again, I am guessing that the start up is too great of a load?

Another recent addition was an amp gauge and when the fans kick on it drops from 13.5 to around 11.5 then it returns to 13.5 when the fans shut off (after about 60 seconds).

I really have 3 questions:

1. Could my fans be wired incorrectly and sucking too much juice the wrong way thereby killing the stereo?
a. I have heard that if I add a spal http://www.univparts.com/detail.asp?part=PWM-KIT adjustable controller it will turn on one fan at a time (alternating) to reduce the initial start up also then I can adjust it to kick on a single fan earlier so that the temperature does not max out before starting to cool down..
2. Although it is “pretty” it may only be a 55 Amp unit.
a. How can I test the output of the alternator? I have a multimeter (but I have not really used it much).
3. If I wind up with a low output alternator:
a. How high should I go for a Higher output alternator? I typically go wayyyy overboard just to be safe and there is a chance that I will be adding AC, and an air compressor to run airbags eventually.
b. Go to a single wire?
c. Stay with the 3 wire setup?

Any thoughts are appreciated…

1969 Camaro
LeMans Blue and white stripes
540 BBC, T56,12 Bolt, 3.42 posi
CalTracs Bars, linelock, 6AL-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 03:12 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

Re: fans turn on stereo turns off....

sounds like 2 problems- alt should put out 13.8 -14.2----with all that , might consider 100 amp single alt.- i would also chek wiring to fans, it has has its own fuse circuit and not tied into another fuse circuit and run through a fan relay
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 03:15 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

3 wire style -that one is for original style which is external regulator mounted on fire wall-go to 2 wire with built in regulator

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 04:02 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

How are the fans wired? They should be wired thru relays with power coming striaght off the battery, not from the car harness.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 12:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

also you can install a power capacitor on the amp power wire connected as close to the amp as possible. that way when the fans kick on the capacitor will discharge its power to the amp to keep the voltage from dropping and shutting it down. but like others have said, make sure that the fans are wired thru relays straight from the battery. another thing to note is that if the engine is equipped with an "underdrive" pulley system. these systems tend to lower the rpms of the alternator making it not produce enough current to the cars electrical system most noticably at idle.

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 11, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech

So, my guess is that the fans are either wired incorrectly though the fuse box (or something else like the horn relay) when you want them with relays as everyone already said. Or the are wired correctly and the huge instant power draw is too much for the system, even wired correctly.

Without knowing much about those fans, my single fan can draw 50 amps at start up. Thats huge.

I think either way you should get the adjustable fan controller, that way you could run just one, and kick on the second at a slightly higher temp. And they ramp up the voltage and avoid the huge surge.

I would also upgrade the alternator to an internally regulated one, about 100 amps.
You can't go too big, it will only put out the amperage needed up to the maximum.
A one wire is easier to install, but not as accurate with the charging voltage and your 'gen' light will be on. A three wire internally regulated alternator can work the gen light and will more accurately maintain a constant voltage.

There are a couple of write up on this site on installing newer internally regulated 10si or 12ci (or something like that) alternators.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 11, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Stephen

ok, so I went to O'Reilly and asked if they could test my alternator and they brought out the smallest computer thing and I was like oh great what is this....

the guy hooks it up and almost imediately looks at me and says you have a bad diode in the alternator... I was like what? How do you know?? (realizing that he could not just know that).

he then showed me the read out on the tiny computer that said "bad diode in alternator"... soooo, hoping that might be my problem I ordered a new 1 wire 100 amp alternator. and now I have a new post:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...51#post1584951

1969 Camaro
LeMans Blue and white stripes
540 BBC, T56,12 Bolt, 3.42 posi
CalTracs Bars, linelock, 6AL-2
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 07:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Poltergeist.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode